2011 MBP 15" 2.2 Quad Vs. 2011 Mac Mini Server Quad?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mrwonkers, Aug 5, 2011.

1. mrwonkers, Aug 5, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2011

mrwonkers macrumors 6502

mrwonkers

I can't see a whole lot of difference with these two machines other than the MBP is 200mhz faster and has a dedicated 1GB Graphics Card.
    I don't do anything that involves 3D at the moment, so is the graphics card worth the massive price difference between these 2 models? [Never really use the MBP anywhere other than in the office anymore] Am thinking of selling off the MBP and just grabbing a 2011 MacMini Server instead [with the money I get back I could buy a Mac Mini Server & a 11" MacBook Air]

I do use Photoshop and Premiere Pro [FCP X be damned] and I do the occasional encode using Handbrake, will a Mac Mini server suffice for these tasks?

Any advice appreciated - regards from Oz

2. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

Premiere Pro and Photoshop uses GPU acceleration for certain tasks, as controlled by Grand Central Dispatch, so yes a GPU would benefit any Mac system.

That being said, the high-end Mac Mini would be better than the Server. You can add a 2nd hard drive yourself; check out the Mac Mini forums on how.

It's a question of portability: do you need to carry around your workstation? If yes, go with the MacBook Pro. If not, then choose the high-end Mac mini.

3. mrwonkers thread starter macrumors 6502

mrwonkers

I understand a dedicated GPU would be beneficial compared to integrated graphics. My Question is will the Intel 3000 get the job done / video editing wise?

4. randomrazr macrumors 65816

it can but it will take hell of alot longer

5. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

It can, but it's highly unrecommended. Do yourself a gigantic favor and get a GPU.