2011 MBP 15" 8G RAM Sierra/pages problem

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mattgolfs, Apr 22, 2018.

1. mattgolfs macrumors newbie

mattgolfs

Hey peeps. Here we go. Six months ago my MBR took a :( so It to the Genius bar and
    we had to wipe the system and reinstall Sierra. We BARELY got that accomplished. It was
    some sort of hardware problem (obviously). But what? So zip to present day and pages on my
    MBP would not show updated documents created and revised on iPad mini(2). So even though I was
    told I shouldn't try to upgrade to HS, I thought I have nothing to lose. Ninety percent of all problems
    can be fixed by rebooting or upgrading software. So I tried and the kernel freaked out. We wiped the drive again and got Sierra installed again, barely. This was a new guy and he said the same thing, hardware problem. He said if you could upgrade to HS it would most likely fix you pages problem. So anybody out there have any idea what hardware problem is keeping me from upgrading to HS? I would think it would be the Hard Drive but I don't know for sure. P.S. 500G HD 375G left.

2. chabig macrumors 601

That would have been a good question for the Apple Genius. There should be no hardware reason preventing you from upgrading to High Sierra. It's a supported system on your machine.

3. mattgolfs thread starter macrumors newbie

mattgolfs

exactly what I thought, but I had two genius guys that had no answers for me.

4. chabig macrumors 601

So you’re on Sierra now. It should be easy to upgrade to High Sierra from the App Store. Try it again after you make a good bootable backup.

5. mattgolfs thread starter macrumors newbie

mattgolfs

Thanks for the reply. I did try and upgrade as a last ditch effort. The kernel popped. (ha! gotta keep it light I guess.)

6. Brammy macrumors 65816

By any chance, do you have 3rd party ram? I had a weird situation on my old 2011 15 about 4 years ago where the upgrade was failing at the verify step. Turns out one of my RAM chips was bad.

7. DeltaMac macrumors G3

DeltaMac

Hard drive? Faulty SATA cable?
    I would not choose to update to HS on a spinning hard drive. Too sluggish.
    Any other hardware problems will be accentuated, I think.
    And, it's a good idea to try different RAM, too.

8. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

It’s a 2011 15 inch it’s probably a symptom of a dying dGP. Time to look for a new computer.

Check the hard drive by booting from an external drive, if that doesn’t work it’s probably the logic board/dGPU.

9. mattgolfs thread starter macrumors newbie

mattgolfs

Yes I do! I upgraded from 4G to 8G. How do I know if my ram is bad?
    --- Post Merged, Apr 24, 2018 ---
    Well, if I do a system report, it says the memory is good. And as far as the other stuff, wouldn't the diagnostics they use at the Apple store detect any problems?

10. Brammy macrumors 65816

I think I ran a memtest program, or had read enough posts of people saying that a bad ram chip caused that specific error.