2011 MBP 15" Mercury Electra 6G Lockup/Freeze

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by glire, Aug 21, 2011.

1. glire macrumors newbie

About 3-4 Weeks ago I got a Mercury Electra 6G 120GB SSD and aside from one problem, I love it. I randomly get freezes and lockups on my computer and google has been no help thus far. I know there were problems with 6G SSD's on 17" MBP's but I thought all the other models were unaffected.

Did I just happen to get a bum drive or is the problem originating from my computer and not the drive?

2. bb426 macrumors 6502

bb426

The drive is fine. It's the fact that it's SATA III, and it does also affect 15" MBP's. Really nothing to do about it at the moment other than return your SSD and get a different one, like a SATA II drive. Unless you want to wait for an update that may fix it, but who knows when that's coming.

3. vipergts2207 macrumors 65816

vipergts2207

I think your best bet would be to contact OWC and see what they have to say. When did you get your MBP?

4. R3alsp33dy0ne macrumors newbie

According to OWC the 15" can have problems when a 6G drive is used in the optical bay. If used in the main HDD bay, no such problems should arrise.

I have a Mercury Extreme Pro 6G drive in the main HDD bay and it works fine on my 15" Early 2011 MBP.

5. glire thread starter macrumors newbie

I got my MPB in late April and my drive is indeed in the main bay.

The lockups can happen anywhere from once or twice a day to upwards of 10-20 times. It isn't at all predictable and no error message is generated in the console as a result of it. Other than contacting OWC, I'm not really sure what to do.

6. JronMasteR macrumors 6502

JronMasteR

I've you have enabled TRIM, disable it. Other than that, there is not much you can do to get it working.

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Get a SATA II drive for max. compatibility. SATA III drives are not supported by Apple and the forums here have many posts from users like yourself with these problems using SATA III drives.

What kind of work are you doing that you think you will notice the speed difference anyway? Unless you are frequently working with very large files, you won't notice the difference between a SATA III and a SATA II drive anyway.

8. hendrixe macrumors newbie

Latest firmware update fixes issue

Was looking for something else but came across your posting. I just read (like 5 minutes ago) from OWC on how the latest firmware update from Apple fixed the issue. Although only Thunderbolt is mentioned in this update, it looks like the 6G issue for the main bay (not the optical) has been resolved.

Link to OEWC blog:
    http://blog.macsales.com/11895-2011-macbook-pro-sata-problems-resolved