2011 MBP 15" vs 17" color gamut

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by scottchlee, Jun 17, 2011.

1. scottchlee macrumors newbie

Other than the differences in size and resolution are the color gamut on both displays the same?

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Should be. I would imagine they use the same manufacturer for both

3. scottchlee thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. I am curious because in previous gen starting in 2009 the 17" model had the ability to display higher color gamut, but not the 15" model.

4. palpatine macrumors 68040

i think it is considerably more, but i haven't seen it confirmed by any apple source.

5. scottchlee thread starter macrumors newbie

What are you referring to? Sorry if I didn't understand your response.

6. Titanium81 macrumors 6502a

Titanium81

Is this true?

Does the 17" really have a higher color gamut than the 15"?

7. 2hvy4grvty macrumors 6502

If you guys aren't using professional software, there's really no benefit to have a 95% gamut vs a quality 60%.

That said, no, the MBP 17 is not 95%.

Both screens compared to 60%.

MBP 15 hi-res ag:

[​IMG]

MBP 17 glossy;

[​IMG]

Very similar color spectrum coverage. It's a quality 60% screen (albeit technically, it's closer to 72%) which is very good for non-professional use. It's actually safe to say it's BETTER than 95% gamut screens for everyday use because of misinterpretations that sometimes occur with higher gamut screens operating under tradition RGB specs (e.g. blues end up looking more magenta).

But for photoshop use, a 95% screen is better. An IPS is another step up from there.

Also, just because they're the same manufacturer doesn't make them the same quality. LG, Samsung, Hannstar, and Chi Mei are examples of LCD suppliers. They produce quality screens, and garbage screens; more over, I'm pretty sure Apple utilizes multiple LCD suppliers anyway (I know for a fact they use both LG and Samsung) that makes the first comment even less true.

8. Titanium81 macrumors 6502a

Titanium81

Are the 15" (Hi - Res) & 17" MBP's IPS? I know the 27" ACD is.

9. h00ligan macrumors 68030

I can't seem to find info on the non high res screen... anyone?

I have a mba, but I wonder if I should move to a 15 pro... however it would be with the low res screen...

I basically think I should just buy a 24" ips with the money left, then I can use it on a desktop too

10. Dominus Mortem macrumors regular

Isn't it more like 75% of Adobe RGB and 60% of NTSC? I believe I saw that somewhere and corroborated but I can't seem to find it now.

11. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

Regarding the 17":

I've the Mid-2009 and the Early-2011 on my desk (both have an AG display), and the Early-2011 has a much better color reproduction, a very large viewing angle and so on.

I did read similar things about the Early-2011 15".

12. madisonfaye macrumors regular

madisonfaye

It also depends on which screen you get in your MBP, they receive from both LG and Samsung and those screens have differences between them