2011 mbp 17 frozen, advise what it might be?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by FaberUK, Apr 7, 2011.

1. FaberUK macrumors newbie

Hi

I was working on a motion project (nothing intensive) and burning a DVD at the same time and then the screen did this (pic below)

[​IMG]

Does anyone know what this might be? It went unresponsive after this happened, no sound no nothing. Held the power button down and restarted to find it working again but I am worried it might be something serious.

Bad graphics? Faulty hard drive?
    Anyone have any experience of something like this?

mbp 2011 17" 4gb

2. SPEEDwithJJ macrumors 65816

SPEEDwithJJ

If you're near an Apple store, I'll suggest making a Genius appointment & bring it in for them to take a look at your machine.

Good luck. :)

3. rshillshooter81 macrumors member

50 bucks its the Video Card.

Does the problem go away if you play a video game where it would switch from the Intel IGP to the ATI?

4. rshillshooter81 macrumors member

Could you also post temperatures of the internals of your MBP.

5. tinymiata macrumors newbie

tinymiata

I had a similar thing on mine
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1131897
    This issues did not happen till I updated to 10.6.7

I have reverted back to 10.6.6 and the problem has not happened again for me. I have been testing for over 24 hours now. I found setting the display to dim at 10 min and waiting for 30~60 min then moving the mouse would either get the pattern or screen would stay black till full reboot.

6. FaberUK thread starter macrumors newbie

It's only happened once so I'm not sure. I'm using Motion again today so I'll see if it happens again.

I've only run flash games on the machine which I guess don't use the ATI graphics, I haven't played any full screen games that would make it switch to full graphics I'm guessing. Unless Motion uses the ATI card.

7. FaberUK thread starter macrumors newbie

Just installed istat nano and will watch temps today.

At the moment, running nothing but mail and safari I'm getting roughly 30 degrees across the temps, GPU A is around 37.

The machine was plugged in sitting on an empty table in an average room temp when it happened yesterday.

I'm worried the graphics might be broken or about to break but also my hard disk has a small ticking noise unless I'm resting my left hand on the body to type. I've seen display glitches like this before on PC's and its always been a graphics issue there though.

Will update, thanks for the replies it is most appreciated

8. Mix macrumors member

similar thing happened to me last night when pulling out an external monitor from the display port. I had set the external TV to 1080p 60hz and I think it was mirroring .

9. FaberUK thread starter macrumors newbie

I have tried to recreate the conditions that the crash happened in and so far it hasn't repeated. Have a lot of more demanding motion work later this week so I'll see what happens then.

Thanks for the responses.

I downloaded a full screen game to try and tax the graphics card and it ran really well with no glitches.

10. acron1 macrumors regular

acron1

Flash does use the ATI graphics... ( from my own observation )

11. Mactrillionaire macrumors regular

This is a GPU or logic board issue. I'd recommend to take it in for service. Or you may luck out and a firmware update for the computer might fix the problem (assuming it is a driver issue).