2011 mbp 17 removing odd for 2nd SSD ? need help...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by 8000rpm, Mar 3, 2011.

1. 8000rpm macrumors regular

Ok if anyone has links to write ups please send them I cant seem to find much related to the question I have. I have read about optical delete kits but cant seem to find more.

I want to delete my Optical disk drive and install a 2nd SSD for storage. WHat exactly do I need? Who sells any kits/brackets etc?

2. colshine, Mar 3, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2011
  3. 8000rpm thread starter macrumors regular

great links thank you !! Looks like ill be doing it for sure. i may just burn the odd and put it on youtube for all the odd lovers haha !

Im not sure what i should do though. keep the 128 apple ssd as a boot/os or replace it with a faster drive and use the apple drive for my photos/vids..:confused:

4. axu539 macrumors 6502a

At the speed of current SSDs, you're not going to see any difference between them in terms of boot speeds. Only those using SSDs as scratch disks would see the performance increase. Therefore, I'd keep the current SSD as boot. For the optical drive bay, you can either stick in a larger HDD for your media, or you can stick in a second SSD for something else. I personally plan to put a second SSD in for 2 reasons.
    1. I want the optical drive out. I don't NEED the 2nd SSD, I just want the ODD out, as it makes noise, and it's one of the most unreliable parts of notebooks these days.
    2. I will probably use the 2nd SSD for Windows, just to game. Gaming from an SSD is a dream, since everything loads so much faster.

I personally would not spend the money on an SSD just to stick media on it. Playing most media, even in 1080p video, will not saturate even a regular 5400 RPM hard drive's bandwidth. Only if you're playing things like raw blu-ray files, or maybe raw video from a VERY high end video camera, would you actually need to load media off an SSD. In those cases, that's not even a good option either, as a single one of those raw video files might be 50-60 GB, making your SSD run out of space very quickly.