2011 MBP 2.3 i7 W/ Premiere Pro CS6?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MarkCooz, Apr 18, 2013.

1. MarkCooz macrumors 6502a

Hey guys. Just bought my buddies MBP a few days ago and it's running a 2.3GHz i7 with AMD 6750 1GB, 750GB HDD and 16GB RAM

I'm a little "ehhh" about the outcome of what this badboy can put towards HD DSLR footage with some effects/layers onto my PP Timeline. Whenever I would try to edit a clip it would slow down for some odd reason.. or just lag heavily.

Now i use to have a 2011 15" MBP 2GHz i7 with the 256MB AMD Card with 8GB RAM. It seemed a bit faster but it would definitely lag up every second whenever I would try to play the footage back. But editing some clips wasn't much of a hassle. It would still be editable and other times lag too, but only for a few seconds.. The other difference is the HDD. It had a 7200RPM and what I have now is just a 5400RPM model..

Now are the slowdowns caused by the slower HDD? Should I probably pick up a 240GB SSD and replace my superdrive and install the OS/Apps/Plug-ins there to make things run faster or what?

Any help/tips would be appreciated! Thanks

2. B... macrumors 68000

B...

The lag could be caused by pageouts, which move the info from the RAM to the HDD. In that case, the HDD would lag becuase RAM is so many times slower than RAM. When you are editing, could you look at Activity Moniter and see the page outs you are getting? That could give an idea as to if you need a) more RAM or b) an SSD or c) (just for the 8 GB model) an SSD.

Just checked out the system requirements for Mac OS Premeire Pro CS6:
    •7200 RPM hard drive (multiple fast disk drives, preferably RAID 0 configured, recommended)

So a 5400 RPM drive is sort of unsuitable for this level of work. An SSD will be a nice addition.

3. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Yes, get an SSD asap!

If you dont need the Optical drive, then swap it out and put the original HDD in its place for storage.

4. Doward macrumors 6502a

May I suggest throttling? I have zero slow downs with anything I've done on FCPX or anything in Adobe CS6.

I'm running a 2.5 i7 (late 2011) with 1GB HD6770, 250GB SSD, 8GB ram.

I do get 3-4GB worth of page outs when rocking it heavy, so I'm looking to upgrade to 16GB soon.

5. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

16GB DDR3 1600MHz RAM
    256-512GB SSD

This will help alleviate some of these issues, if not all of them.

And yes 1600MHz RAM will run, post and work on any 15-17" 2011 MBP.

6. MarkCooz thread starter macrumors 6502a

So far I'm getting at least 8-10GB RAM being used. It's just I have like 5-6 layers on my timeline. Plus color grading/plugins on 1-2 clips. That's when I'm rendering. Playback 6-8GB's it doesn't seem to struggle all too much now. Maybe it's just now getting use with the Upgraded RAM.

I would've definitely gotten the 1600MHz 16GB, but my girlfriend bought me the 1333MHz in advance before getting my buddies MBP. So I just went with this.

Now what's a good SSD to get for a second drive? Might have to just replace the Optical Drive to pop in the SSD. Looking for at least 250GB SSD.

Links of all necessary stuff would be appreciated! :)

7. Doward macrumors 6502a

8. MarkCooz thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well she bought me this one
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006DI9PG8/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It reads it just fine. 16GB 1333MHz on "About This Mac"

Woah that's an amazing price for 500GB!

9. Doward macrumors 6502a

10. wonderspark macrumors 68040

wonderspark

11. MarkCooz thread starter macrumors 6502a

Even better price right here on Amazon! woah $332 with Amazon Prime!
    http://amzn.to/17baijz

So tempting... ah

12. Doward macrumors 6502a

I just put this 250GB Samsung 840 into the Macbook... arg. I'm waiting for 1TB (or 960GB lol) to come down in price.

I would love to swap the 750GB 7200rpm drive in my Buffalo thunderbolt enclosure for a 960GB SSD.

I have a lot of other things $600 would go into, though :(

13. MarkCooz thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm also curious on Thunderbolt Externals.. IF that's what I get for a primary disk for all my video files and use that as my scratch disk. Would that be fast enough to handle all my editing needs?

Or would having an SSD for OSX/Applications installed on there and having all my media files onto my HDD be a better fit?

Cause I'm thinking if I get an SSD. I can just get a small one like a Samsung 840 250GB and save money instead of the 500GB. Since I do have a 750GB HDD on here right now.

Thoughts?

14. Doward macrumors 6502a

I use the 250GB SSD internally in my MBP, and use the Thunderbolt External as my 'scratch' so I can easily move between computers.

That's exactly what I did, too - 250GB for now, and installed my formerly internal 750GB into the Buffalo Enclosure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZHgFHFZSf8

Runs at native speed, just like had I hooked it up internally.

Eventually, I want to swap that 750GB HDD for a 1TB (960GB)+ SSD, when the prices come down further.

15. MarkCooz thread starter macrumors 6502a

Great video man. Really looking forward on that 1TB Thunderbolt video.

So would you ever recommend doing a HDD+SSD onto your MBP?

I'm thinking replacing my 750GB HDD for a 250GB SSD (Samsung 840)
    Then my Superdrive with my old 750GB HDD..

Cause I'm not sure if I'll be needing a Thunderbolt External yet. I already have Two 1+2TB Firewire External from WD. Works wonderfully. I don't know if i'm ready to spend that much on an external...

16. Doward macrumors 6502a

Completely up to you. If the super drive is never used, then it is easy to argue swap it out. I actually use mine, so that wasn't an option for me.

17. akdj macrumors 65816

akdj

Are you using a scratch drive for your media? If not, give that a shot before trying anything internal. If you're running premier from the same disc that your footage is on CAN be a major slow down. We are using Samsung 830&840 external SSDs via thunderbolt. We are currently using 15" rMBPs BUT until these rMBPs hit the market all we owned were the 17" models. I had a pair of 2011 17"---a 2.2 and a 2.4. Both using FCP 7 and X as well as premier pro and after effects. Don't remember any slowdowns like you're describing. Again though, using external scratch drives. We used to scratch via FireWire 800--- thunderbolt and USB 3 are significantly quicker. You don't need an SSD though. Try a spinner via FW first I'd you have one laying around. Might be a really simple fix here

Also, what codec are you editing in? Are you mixing codecs and/or frame rates or resolutions?

J

18. MarkCooz thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for that man. I'll see what I can do. I may just have to get an SSD and replaced internal. Hassle free for me in my situation.

I'm using Premiere CS6 and I edit with footage straight from 5D's. When working on Premiere I don't feel the need to recode them to ProRes 422LT since I'm not using FCP 7. Framerates ehh. I usually have 24fps and sometimes 30fps in some scenes but those clips usually only lasts for a few seconds to get the effect I want on them.

How was editing when using via firewire?
    I'm asking because those are the only externals I have. I've yet to own a Thunderbolt External.