2011 MBP advice - SSD, HDD, OptiBay???

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by m021478, Feb 26, 2011.

1. m021478 macrumors 6502

Really want to get a new 2001 15" Macbook Pro, but am confused about hard drive options. Don't want to sacrafice performance for storage, so I was thinking about either the 256 or 512 SSD as my boot drive, and a OptiBay with a 750GB drive installed.

Will having the OptiBay installed in addition to an SSD significantly impact the battery life of my computer, and/or will there be tons more heat generated by this configuration...

I hate the fact that my 2008 MBP (with an upgraded internal 500GB 7200RPM HDD) gets less than 2 hours of battery life, and that I can fry an egg on the thing because it gets so damn hot.

Anyone have any advice on how I should proceed?

2. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

Not to be a pest...but use Mroogle. It'll answer a lot of your questions :]

3. white-usagi macrumors newbie

I'm thinking about doing a similar thing - getting a 15" with a 128 GB SSD and putting a 750 GB HDD with a OptiBay.

Does anyone have any advice to share about this kind of configuration? I read somewhere if you put a HDD in the OptiBay, it should be a HDD which has a sudden movement sensor in it.

4. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

If you wanted to go a bit crazy, go with two 240GB SSD and put them in RAID 0. That would give you a good amount of storage and an insane amount of speed :D

5. Tamasi macrumors member

n00b-question to that;

Is it possible to put two SSDs from different capacities AND different brands in Raid 0 and have them 'work together'?

6. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

You could do that, but it would be a waste. Since if you put a 120GB SSD and a 240GB SSD in RAID 0 you would only get a capacity of 240GB for the RAID. (The RAID capacity is the number of drives times the storage space of the smallest drive in the RAID.) I would only go with identical drives in a RAID 0.

7. cool11 macrumors 65816

cool11

What is 'optibay'?
    Does apple officially offer it?

8. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

9. m021478 thread starter macrumors 6502

Please read my email signature... I'd not have asked the question if I hadn't (unsuccessfully) searched for an adequate answer first.

10. KJmoon117 macrumors 6502a

You need to have the HDD (stock Apple) in the hard drive bay and the SSD in the optibay. The problem is due to the sudden motion sensor built into the Mac that only protects drives in the hard drive bay.

What you can do however is.... Buy a WD Scorpio Black Drive (a HDD with built in SMS) and put that in the Optibay and buy a SSD with SATA III enabled (they will arrive shortly) and put that in the main bay. Problem solved. Too much money? I know :( I'm stuck on this issue as well. *sigh*

Optibay is what WeaselBoy posted. However, there are cheaper alternatives such as OWC's data doubler or many ebay models :), which are MUCH cheaper but might have problems with reliability. This is NOT supported by Apple and will void the warranty if you are caught doing it. So if you go ahead and do this and your computer breaks, replace the Optibay with the stock configuration and send it.

11. samywamy10 macrumors regular

samywamy10

FYI it says 2001 MBP in the first post. I was rather confused :p.