Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
Really? That's funny. I have bought and sold 7 MBP's in the last 2 months so who would know the market...you or I? By the way, I am referring to the 13" model only.

When you can buy a refurb 2013 rMBP with 8gb RAM and 256gb Flash for $1,269, it is pointless to put more money into a current machine to TRY to get the same performance. You are left with a heavier, thicker, older computer with inferior display and battery life. Also, no warranty.

Realistically, a Samsung 840 Pro 256gb SSD can be had on ebay for $200. 8 gb of RAM for about $60. That is $260 total for the mathematically challenged.

Let's say you can get $800 for your current machine. Would you rather have your old current machine with no warranty for essentially a total of $1,060, or a brand new current model that will stomp your old machine in every category for $300 more with tax. Most people pay a few hundred just to get a few extra years of warranty with Apple. In this example, you get a retina display, flash storage, current tech, longer battery life, lose weight and thickness, and a warranty for a few hundred. This seems like a no brainer.

so the OP has a 15", I and everyone advising the OP to upgrade have 15" and now the discussion is about 13" just so your post makes any sense?

accountforit

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2014
Well considering it just took me less than 1 minute to find the OP's exact model in the completed listings selling regularly for $1,000-1,300 with the same specs, I would say my argument still stands.

Do you want to have $1,260-1,560 into a 3 year old machine with upgrades, or $1,800 (with tax) into a brand new model (refurb) with warranty?

Any rational person would choose the latter.

Last edited:

RMXO

macrumors 6502a
Sep 1, 2009
This is pointless. Why does everyone think upgrading is a good option? Yes.....put more money into your old machine so you can lose more down the road. You can sell your old machine and apply the money you would have used to upgrade it. Then, you will be at the point of obtaining a new machine.

Look at the ebay auctions. Most people are NOT recouping what they spent to upgrade old hard drives to SSD's. Storage space still trumps all to most people. You would be better off with a new machine that will be faster in every way.

Personally, I would sell it and buy a new MBP but thats me. I actually had a top of the line mid 2011 MBP and sold it to buy a Sager 9150 then sold that within 6 months since I wanted to go back to OSX on my laptop.

Based on value and future proof, it would be best to sell & upgrade but not everyone is like that, so I gave him another option which I don't see anything wrong with if he decides to go that route.

My GF bought a late 2008 MBP when it first came out and only this year did she finally decide to replace it with a mid 2012 MBP 16gb 512gb 650m w/ Apple Care. I had to really convince her since it was her first ever mac and she even considered upgrading the RAM and new SSD. In the end, she's glad that she listened to me but you get the point.

Some folks like to get the most out of their mac before upgrading to a new one. To each their own.

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
Do you want to have $1,260-1,560 into a 3 year old machine with upgrades, or $1,800 (with tax) into a brand new model (refurb) with warranty?

Any rational person would choose the latter.

Must be one who has the $500 anyway. Your earlier posts indicated you thought the cash was equal, this indicates it isn't by some margin. And of course for your upgrade cost you can have way more GB in the HDD than a new model so it isn't quite as straightforwardly comparable as it might appear...

accountforit

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2014
Must be one who has the $500 anyway. Your earlier posts indicated you thought the cash was equal, this indicates it isn't by some margin. And of course for your upgrade cost you can have way more GB in the HDD than a new model so it isn't quite as straightforwardly comparable as it might appear...

....and gains in every other respect.

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
....and gains in every other respect.

Not for everyone, remember ALL MBP users aren't pushing the envelope in ALL areas on their MBPs. For some the storage will be a deal-breaker, others will have their must- and want- haves. Especially as there is still cash to put into that deal, it means individuals will come to their own value conclusions vs the $$$ they need to put in. Why the problem with it??

Unless you believe there should only be 1 spec and ALL users must buy it as it is obviously the 'best" for them....whether they know it or not....? Then we could have synchronized upgrades (of course all users must want the new machine as soon as it is available so why allow the irrational to wait...)

NewishMacGuy

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2007
1. Sounds like your HDD might be failing. Make sure you have a good backup right away.

2. 4GB is pretty thin on the ground these days. Fortunately the 2011 models are upgradeable. 8GB should do fine unless you run a VM in which case you might want to consider 16GB.

3. As others have mentioned, the 2011 is still a very powerful machine that (with a few inexpensive upgrades) will provide highly satisfactory performance for most people today and likely for a few years to come.

4. I probably wouldn't spend $500 on an SSD upgrade either, but you can get massive bang for your buck by replacing your (likely failing) HDD with a hybrid drive upgrading the memory for less than $250. The hybrid is a low cost solution for lots of storage space and a significant speed boost.

>

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.