2011 MBP and bootable backup

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Medic278, May 7, 2012.

1. Medic278 macrumors 6502a

Medic278

Hello everyone hoping someone can answer my question. So I installed an SSD in my late 2011 13" MBP and pulled the original 750GB HDD and have it in a Scorpion external enclosure and am using with time machine for back ups. I currently have 2 partitions one for my iTunes and one for time machine. I want to add a bootable clone to the iTunes partition so if my SSD fails I can boot and restore from the drive itself. So my question is can I do that or do I have to reformat the drive with 3 partitions and if I can do it with 2 partitions what program would you recommend? I was thinking of using CCC.

2. simsaladimbamba

CarbonCopyCloner will work, just make sure to select the appropriate action in the "Customise these settings" dialog:
    [​IMG]

PS: A bootable backup will only work, if the actual HDD uses GUID as partition scheme map, Disk Utility will show you, if it is using that.
    [​IMG]

3. Medic278 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Medic278

Thank you for the response, I knew it could be done just was unsure of the execution. I really like how time machine works but it kind of sucks that it can't be booted from. Again thank you very much for your help I greatly appreciate it.

4. robgendreau macrumors 68030

Whether a cloned backup is useful for you depends on your needs.

If you need to keep running with all your stuff despite the failure of your MBP's drive then OK. But if it's a bootable recovery/repair type volume then I'd just install a minimal system with your disk repair tools and just what you need in an emergency. That way you save space for TM backups.

Or you might want to triple up, and use a clone of existing machine so you can continue work if the SSD dies; have a TM backup; and finally have a minimal system on a USB drive with recovery tools.

And BTW, re partitioning. Why not include the iTunes library in the clone you make?