2011 MBP and Dell u2211h DVI to Thunderbolt issue

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by danielsen, Feb 10, 2012.

1. danielsen macrumors newbie

I recently upgraded to a 2011 15" MBP, and I'm attempting to connect it to my Dell u2211h, to no avail. I've used this monitor over the past few years with a MacBook Pro/Air/Mini via a Mini Display to DVI adapter. However, my new MacBook Pro isn't having it. I plug the DVI into the Thunderbolt port, turn on the monitor and it just goes into power save mode, with no detection from my MBP. I was hoping someone might have some insight into this problem? Thanks!

2. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

Have you tried manually selecting the DVI input on the monitor itself, and then choosing to "Detect Displays" from within System Preferences? Also, as a workaround, you could try using a mini-DisplayPort to DisplayPort cable; that's what I use with my DisplayPort-equipped MacBook Pro and Dell U2311H monitor.

3. danielsen thread starter macrumors newbie

I've tried selecting DVI manually (and auto detect), as well as detect displays in system settings, and I get nothing. I'm somewhat reluctant to shell out for a mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort cable when I know my mini DisplayPort to DVI works just fine with past Macs. Do you really think it could make a difference? Thunderbolt is supposed to play nicely with DVI right?

4. macchiato2009 macrumors 65816

might be defective cable

i had the same issue at work

replaced the cable and it worked fine

5. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

It should work but there could be an incompatibility with the adapter you're using. You could try emailing the manufacturer to see if they've tested it with Thunderbolt-equipped Macs. A mini-DP to DP cable is <$5 (+S&H) at Monoprice so it's a relatively inexpensive thing to try.

Also, it seems like you're not the only one to have trouble with a Thunderbolt Mac and a DVI adapter. See here if you didn't see this thread already.