2011 MBP...and the strangest freezing problems.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by adrian1480, Apr 20, 2011.

1. adrian1480 macrumors 6502

Hi guys. I have a 2011 MBP that has been pretty decent, but seems to have some issues that I can't solve.

Basically, once every 4 or 5 days (give or take), the computer will freeze requiring a hard restart. Sometimes this will happen when I'm in the middle of using it. Other times it will happen overnight after I've put the display to sleep (computer still on, just the display is sleeping).

There is nothing in the Console that suggests any errors happening. The Console entries simply cease between the time when the computer freezes and whenever I restart it. There is nothing I can do to replicate the situation with any measure of consistency. Sometimes it happens when I'm doing something...sometimes when I'm doing nothing but browsing websites. System is never under load when it happens (somewhere between 50C and 70C). Memory use has been normal.

I've run memory tests (in Single user mode) and HDD tests. I've verified my disk permissions with Disk Utility and Onyx. Nothing special seems to be happening in Console. I'm not using any software that I didn't use on my 2010 MBP, which had no issues. Yet and still, the freezes come. They are rare, but frequent enough and unpredictable enough for me to worry whenever I'm doing something for business. I shouldn't have to think about when my next freeze is going to come.

Any ideas on where else I look to trouble-shoot? Nobody wants to use a computer that is unreliable for any reason, you know? I've considered doing another format and reinstall of OS X (I did that once already), but I'm not excited about doing it again and again, I'm not using any unique or special software that I wasn't using on my 2010. Just basic stuff like iStat, smcFanControl, gfxCardStatus, BettertouchTool, Quicksilver and LittleSnitch.

Ideas will be appreciated.

2. Hawaga macrumors member

Did you run software update? Apple released a fix/patch for freezing issues with 2011 MBP's.

If so, did u do any kind of DIY upgrade like RAM/disk replacement? In that case it could be hardware related.

Otherwise, a little go to the applestore if none of the above will answer your question...

3. adrian1480 thread starter macrumors 6502

yep, system is fully updated.

I upgraded the ram, but I've also tested the ram, and no issues were found. Also, most RAM-related issues would result in that crash screen:

[​IMG]

AFAIK. I never get such a dialog. In my case, everything simply stops moving/working. Or I can't wake the display.

So I don't think it's the RAM at this point...but I'm not against speculating that it might be related. It's the only upgraded. But I added it on day 1, so I can't say if it was more stable before the RAM upgrade.

4. Hawaga macrumors member

Well if I were u I'd give a try to the stock RAM, just to see if it behaves any different...

What's your added RAM brand?

5. adrian1480 thread starter macrumors 6502

6. Hawaga macrumors member

Well, even brands with good reputation like this one can have single defective units,

if you try the stock RAM as I mentioned above and experience a different (normal) behavior from your MBP, then the problem's probably related to your GSkill RAM which u should send back for replacement. AFAIK it should be under warranty, at least within first year of purchase.

If stock RAM doesn't show any difference, then take your MBP to the Genius Bar.

7. adrian1480 thread starter macrumors 6502

will do. I just ordered some new ram just in case.

8. Hawaga macrumors member

Wow! Love that you bought it already without making sure it was defective...

I myself need 8 go (in Paris), feel free to order some for me too if u don't mind ! :D

9. adrian1480 thread starter macrumors 6502

yea, I bought it from Amazon so if it turns out I don't need it, I can always send it back.