2011 MBP: bad audio drivers in Windows

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by slime73, Aug 21, 2011.

1. slime73 macrumors newbie

slime73

After using my new 15" Macbook Pro for a little while it became apparent that the speaker quality in OS X is much better than in Windows with the drivers provided by Boot Camp (3.2), so I did some research and found out that Cirrus has been providing faulty audio drivers for macbook pros which don't enable the third (midrange) speaker in Windows.

According to http://www.stuffedcow.net/macbook_audio there is a fixed driver available for Windows XP/32 bit Windows 7, but I'm using 64 bit Windows 7 and there doesn't seem to be any fix available for me. Does anyone have any insights?

2. shardey macrumors 6502a

shardey

My built in speakers in my 2009 iMac also provides very low quality via windows 7. I haven't tried using headphones or speakers that connect with the 3.5 but my Bose companion 5 runs through USB and that's the only way that I can tolerate using windows 7. I have yet to see or find any way to be able to fix the built in speakers from sounds like its 16kbps quality.

3. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

It's the same on the Late-2008 MacBook Pro and most likely on all Macs. The sound drivers are horrible in Windows - makes it sound muddy.

4. shardey macrumors 6502a

shardey

How can apple still be putting out these poorly written drivers? It's been at least 2 years on my part with this trouble and still I have the ugliest sound come from the internal speakers.