2011 MBP Battery performance.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Southernboyj, May 18, 2012.

1. Southernboyj macrumors 68000

Southernboyj

I've only had my MBP about a week (13")
    Apple advertises 7 hours of battery life, but this seems far fetched to me.

What is the setting Apple bases this on? The screen backlight on lowest settings and keyboard backlight off?

Also how much does the backlit keyboard effect battery? Cause I LOVE this feature.

2. Southernboyj thread starter macrumors 68000

Southernboyj

3. Astroboy907 macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

Ummm, less knowledged on the newer models but I know apple is pretty lax in their battery estimates. Charge the thing up, turn the backlights down to minimum and see what the battery estimate gives you. Then just multiply up by whatever health your battery is lacking, and maybe we'll have 7 hours.

I have never personally seen a laptop go over 6 hours (any apple at least). Our mid-2009 gets 2 hours with me using it (lots of tabs/browsing/light rendering), but I can stretch it to around 4 and a bit above with low backlight and not a heavy load. And the battery shows 75% health!

Edit: Keyboard backlight took off 15min of battery life for the estimate, tested just now.

4. macbook pro i5 macrumors 65816

macbook pro i5

I get 6.5 hours actually, what I do is turn of the keyboard backlighting(cause I hardly use it and put the brightness down 2-3 thingies,If I turn the screen mid way I can achieve 7-8 Hours.

5. Astroboy907 macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

What future laptop magic are you working?

6. macbook pro i5 macrumors 65816

macbook pro i5

I have wifi off in college to perceive battery life and turn it on when needed bluetooth is also always off.

7. thundersteele macrumors 68030

This is what the Apple website says about the 7 hours:

Wireless web testing conducted by Apple in October 2011 using preproduction 2.8GHz dual-core Intel Core i7–based 13-inch MacBook Pro units, preproduction 2.4GHz quad-core Intel Core i7–based 15-inch MacBook Pro units, and preproduction 2.4GHz quad-core Intel Core i7–based 17-inch MacBook Pro units. The wireless web test measures battery life by wirelessly browsing 25 popular websites with display brightness set to 50%. Battery life varies by use and configuration. See www.apple.com/batteries for more information.

I find that I can get 7 hours out of my MBP, but 5-6 is more realistic under normal use for me. This is also with 12/16 brightness and keyboard backlight.

8. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Fixed. Battery life has always depended on usage anyways. 7 hours is the upper limit, not an average or median.

9. DimensionDude macrumors newbie

Been a lurker here for quite some time. ;)

A battery run time of 5-6 hours isn't unusual for my 2010 MacBook Pro. I leave the WiFi and Bluetooth on, keyboard backlight is on and screen backlight down 4 bars from max.

The screenshot shows actual time running on the battery with separate entries for both sleep time and off time.

Usage is mostly single-tab web browsing and/or email.

The entry for 2012-04-23 is just a bit misleading. The computer shut down so I let it sit for a few hours (battery calibration) and then connected the charger. It charged for a little while before I turned it on so that's why the end percentage is 26%.

Attached Files:

10. macbook pro i5 macrumors 65816

macbook pro i5

Hi and welcome,What app do you use to show the battery life etc.?

11. DimensionDude macrumors newbie

Hi and thanks for the welcome. :)

The app is called Battery Logger, it's $1.99 on the App Store. I quite like it, probably the best 2 bucks I've spent. :D

12. macbook pro i5 macrumors 65816

macbook pro i5

Thank you :D

13. Southernboyj thread starter macrumors 68000

Southernboyj

I seen your review on the app ;)

14. DimensionDude macrumors newbie

Yup, one of the few times when an app does exactly what I want it to do. :cool:

TBH, I would've happily paid more, but don't tell the developer. ;)