2011 MBP black rubber feet?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Peter Franks, Jun 15, 2015.

1. Peter Franks macrumors 65816

Just wondered why the instructions on the Apple site are saying...
    Why do I need a screwdriver, and can't I just glue it back on with super glue? What are these instructions talking about? Outer bottom/Inner bottom/Outer foot/Inner plug??? I've just got a black rubber foot that's lost it's stick, Any help appreciated please. Will super glue affect internal or fumes from the heat of the MBP as stated on their instructions?

What am I missing here?

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT202450
    Tools Needed to Complete Repair:
    • Phillips 00 screwdriver
    • Tweezers
    • Paper clip or safety pin
    • Note: Do not use any other type of glue except the one included in the foot replacement kit. Fumes from other types of glue could affect other internal components.

2. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Believe there is an outer & inner component to the "rubber foot" the inner plug prevents the outer from coming loose. Try the Super glue, however it may not bond well to the aluminium base plate.

Q-6

3. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

They say a screw driver to remove the bottom pan of the computer. I tried to superglue one on to my brother's computer and it just fell off a day later. Apple sells a kit for $20 which buys you two feet, the glue, and the printed instructions for the repair. Someone on eBay actually sells a full kit of 4, and are genuine Apple parts, for $11 IIRC. It just doesn't come with the glue (although any standard super glue will work). See, when the feet go on at the factory, its done with a different adhesive that allows it to not use the plug. Once they fall off though, its harder to get that same bond, so Apple gives you (and so does that eBay seller) a little plug that gets installed to help anchor the foot to the bottom pan better.

4. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks, I'll give the glue a bash first, I don't see why taking the plate off or unscrewing anything is a given for that yet. Why they are against super glue I'm not sure, if the unscrewing part is the smaller screws surrounding and you shouldn't really need to take the feet off willingly for getting inside. I'm no expert, as you've probably gathered... but I'll try the glue first. Thanks for your replies

5. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Like as not the glue won't bond well to the aluminium base plate. Best bet is to carefully degrease the area you plan on sticking the foot. To be honest to remove the baseplate is a very simple job, you just need to keep track on the screws as some may be longer than others.

Q-6

6. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

not sure I understand why you remove baseplate for the rubber feet, What am I missing, do they screw in instead of glue?

7. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

So you can insert the "inner" retaining plug to the rubber foot on the inside of the baseplate

Q-6

8. Peter Franks thread starter macrumors 65816

Ahh, thanks, too technical for me then!