2011 MBP Bootcamp Win XP Help

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by OatmealRocks, Jun 6, 2011.

1. OatmealRocks macrumors 6502a

Hi,

I used to have 2009 MBP and was able to install XP (Bootcamp). However for 2011 MBP it is no longer supported if you try to install Bootcamp drivers. It will actually ask you to install Windows 7.

I searched around and found Bootcamp 2.1 to have the drivers for the previous version of MBP. When I try to install this exe package I get an error saying my file is corrupt.

Anyone successfully get XP (Native) on a 2011 (i5) MBP? If anyone can offer incite that would be great.

2. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Where did you find the Bootcamp drivers? If not from Apple, try their site if they have any previous driver builds.

3. OatmealRocks thread starter macrumors 6502a

I tried Apple's site. Only reference to XP is ver.2.1 However trying to execute the exe throws up errors (.. install file corrupt).

4. snaky69 macrumors 603

Starting from this generation,the MBP no longer supports XP nor Vista, the only supported windows version is windows 7. You will not be able to find the correct drivers, because they are not available and never will be unless you decide to write them.

Basically you're SOL.

5. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Just reading Apple's support pages and didn't know Windows XP and Vista were no longer supported. But that's not to say you wouldn't be able to install XP, there was a similar problem with MacBook's and you had to work around the Bootcamp installer.

The thing is, you'll have to see if the hardware is still relatively the same with previous MBP's and then manually install each one. You can try to look around, but later today, I'll see if I could go find drivers that will install, I just don't think you can block out the use of XP because Apple says so. But if there are difference, then the drivers might not be available and you'll be out of luck.

6. OatmealRocks thread starter macrumors 6502a

The reason I need to use XP is a specific enviornment that is official supported for this Enterprise software I would like to install.

I even tried to throw in SL DVD and bootcamp installed but missing wireless, network and bluetooth.

Kind of frustrating when I was able to configure triple boot on my (now sold) 2009 MBP.

7. OatmealRocks thread starter macrumors 6502a

Exactly, I was hoping Apple would have some sort of checklist where I can do a manual install of each driver. But nope. My next bet would be to install one driver at a time but again i wish I had a check list which would make it easier but also assuming I might miss somethings. 2009 MBP worked seamless for XP bootcamp so I'm confused why it would be difficult to do so now.

8. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Wait, so is everything working properly with the exception of the wireless card, ethernet and bluetooth?

9. OatmealRocks thread starter macrumors 6502a

From a quick glance I notice it was missing. One step ahead I went direct to the OEM site for teh XP driver. Did not work. Suggestions?

10. WiBu macrumors member

Sometimes you just have to cut the ropes to legacy tech/software, XP is almost a decade old now, especially given that there was a big change in how drivers work from XP > Vista/7.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure Win 7 has some sort of XP compatibility mode which is very solid.

11. JR1993 macrumors regular

Windows 7 Professional edition has an XP Virtual Machine built in, as long as the processor supports it. I have used on my PC a couple of times, but not sure about a mac

12. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

I'm assuming you just popped in the SL disc and ran the installer and let that install everything. Try going into disc (through My Computer) finding the driver you want to install and install it that with. It might say that the hardware is not compatible which is fine. You'll then want to go into Device Manager, and manually installing the driver by searching for it on the SL disc. You might also have to delete the device in device manager, performing a restart and repeating it again. There was the same issue with the MacBook and the wireless drivers, you had to manually get it to work without the help of an installer.

13. OatmealRocks thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes I think so.. I will actually try to put Win 7 and roll back to IE 7 which is specific for Siebel software. Specifically it is not supported in Win7 or Vista hence why I am trying to get XP going.

14. OatmealRocks thread starter macrumors 6502a

I will try this. thx but I can't even sync my mouse to it and 'right' click is an issue for me.

15. ioscat macrumors newbie

ioscat

I installed Windows XP Pro on my 2011 MacBook Pro and installed the leopard drivers, manually installing specific drivers where needed. Then I went into device manager and changed the human interface device drivers to the needed Apple drivers (Trackpad, multi-touch...). The function keys work and I can change the volume and keyboard-backlight. HOWEVER, I cannot change the brightness for the monitor. I have tried changing AHCI hardware to the 'apple-backlight' driver in device manager, but it wont work. Please, can a moderator or anyone help :confused: ? Thanks.