2011 mbp clicking noise

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DryEyez, Mar 5, 2011.

1. DryEyez macrumors 6502

I've noticed, and this isn't consistent, but occasionally with my new 2011 mbp 13" i5 when I put it down, if I put it down at a slight angle, front right of the macbook leaning down, (I think this is where the harddrive is?) there is a click noise? I don't know if there is a loose screw in there or something? I'm not sure what this is. It only happens when its at this angle though, front right at the lower point of gravity. Anyone else experiencing anything similar or any ideas? Can't be normal?

2. Miss Terri macrumors 6502

There have been a number of threads on this with the 2011 MBP's. It seems that it may be the SMS (sudden motion sensor) causing the hard drive to park its heads. At any rate, it does have to do with the hard drive. I think a few people reported that when they put in an SSD it went away (which of course makes sense).

What I don't know is if all 2011's do it, or it it's just some, or just a few.

3. DryEyez thread starter macrumors 6502

Ah I see, so it's a safety feature to protect the hdd? makes sense I guess ;o) or did I get that wrong and it's a defect? :rolleyes:

4. Miss Terri macrumors 6502

Well I don't know when the SMS first came into the Apple laptops, but it's not new to the 2011. I think I remember reading that my iBook had one when I was shopping for it (been awhile!).

But I have noticed a few threads over the past week where people who were used to, say, a 2010 MBP 13" would say "Huh, my 2011 is making this clicking sound when I tilt it."

So it seems there might be something different in the HD's on the 2011. But like I said, I don't know if it would be all, some, or just a very few. You might want to search to find the other threads here, as it has been discussed a bit.

5. namethisfile, Mar 5, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2011

namethisfile macrumors 6502a

namethisfile

the sound could be from the hdd parking as part of the sudden motions sensor thing which is normal.

and if the sound is a higher pitch metallic "clink" coming from underneath, that too is normal from what i hear.

i have the 15" mid-2010 mbp, btw. and the second sound mystified me until i read some threads in these forums.

update: there are numerous threads about the 2nd sound. pulled this quote from an apple discussion forum:

"The metallic clinking noise is definitely not the hard drive and they tried to replace mine once already. It is a small and unecessary piece of plastic with little metal feet. It is one of the grounding components for the macbook pro but it is redundant and the apple store can remove it in about 3 minutes. My 2010 Unibody Macbook Pro is now completely silent! YAY . --DMHawaii"

i never removed this and have learned to live with this metallic clinkitty-clinks on occasion when i tap the bottom. or when i flip the mbp over. lol.

6. polkunus macrumors member

I have this feature in my late 2010 mbp.

IT clicks when I set it down quickly or put it at an angle. I also heard that the motion sensor can detecting falling, so when the computer is about to take impact, everything shuts off.

Neat.

7. suckatcomputers macrumors regular

I have a couple threads about this.

Genius bar told me the SMS is more sensitive on 2011 and it's normal. But consider these guys are sick of people coming in asking for exchanges. I barely tilt mine and it makes the noise. I almost feel like I have to lift it with both hands evenly for it to not "click."