2011 MBP & cougar point fix - any reason to wait to buy?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thedangercometh, Feb 24, 2011.

1. thedangercometh macrumors newbie

I've looked through the forums but haven't seen this addressed today, apologies if I missed it and it has.

With the new MBPs, is there any indication if these chips are affected by the Cougar Point fix? Still advisable to wait until April?

2. thedangercometh thread starter macrumors newbie

The new sandy bridge chips then, no one knows one way or another if they were affected by the recall?

3. akhbhaat macrumors regular

The Cougar Point bug only affects the 3 GB/s SATA ports.

The new MBP only uses two SATA ports (presumably the 6 GB/s ports): one for the HDD and one for the ODD. Shouldn't be an issue.

4. dagamer34 macrumors 65816

dagamer34

Intel isn't selling those chipsets to any manufacturer that might use the affected ports (i.e. desktops). Laptops usually only have 2 used SATA ports (HD and ODD), so that's where they'll go.

5. Derango macrumors regular

It may be the fixed stuff. From the MacBook Pro Performance page, they have a line in there saying "All the models use Intel’s recently refined chipsets." Which I take as Apple's way of saying that they've got the new stuff in there.

Not that it really matters anyway since as people have said, it's only ports beyond the first 2 that have the bug and that's not a problem at all in these laptops as they only use 2 ports.

6. macdud macrumors member

^^ good job on catching that line! yesterday people that cracked open the new models were saying the odd seemed connected to one of the faulty sata ports, but that wouldnt be a problem anymore if they are using the fixed chipsets! ;)