2011 MBP crashing?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by shamash, Mar 7, 2011.

1. shamash macrumors 6502a

shamash

My MBP is randomly freezing up, usually playing games, either WoW or Dragon Age: Origins. Its a new upper end 15" MBP 2011, dunno how but it seems to be doing worse in WoW than my MBA 13" LOL. Any tips?

2. mike2732 macrumors member

Might have to do with temperature. Monitor it and make sure it doesn't go too high, if it does you might have to return it.

3. shamash thread starter macrumors 6502a

shamash

How do you recommend monitoring temps? SMC? How high is too high?

4. mike2732 macrumors member

I don't think it should be over 100 Celsius. I personally don't have a MBP yet, I plan to get the 15" high end with HD AG very soon. But this knowledge is just from reading the forums. As for what to monitor with, I have no idea. :p

5. Kyzelios macrumors 6502

You can use iStat Pro to monitor temperatures and fan speeds on your Mac.

Hope that helps, have a great day.

6. shamash thread starter macrumors 6502a

shamash

From my crash around 20 seconds ago, it looks liek its getting to 93C and then overheating.

7. teflonsheep macrumors newbie

While 93 is getting up there, i doubt this is causing your crashes.

When i check my temps, i max out in the low 90s before the fans kick in on high, and keep it down around the high 70s. I have no crashes.

I would exchange it.

8. shamash thread starter macrumors 6502a

shamash

I kinda want to, but this is a replacement computer from returning another one, and I feel like these issues may be wide spread. I don't wanna jump the gun since I just got the computer today, but it is quite annoying.

9. tosehee macrumors member

I am having similar issue, but I am not a gamer.

My MBP, 2011, is having some random freezes, kernel panics, and program malfunction such as Terminal not executing any more commands and etc..

I doubt it's a temperature issue as the fan is not even spinning when these things happen.

I've been using older MBP (3 years old) without much issue, but this new MBP which I was highly anticipated, seemed to be really out of shape when it comes to stability.

Anyone else?

10. axu539 macrumors 6502a

turn of automatic graphics switching. It always seems to cause issues with games.

11. New2Guitar macrumors newbie

March 2011 I purchased a MBP............. no issues @ all. No overheating, no lockups etc.