2011 MBP dead after Mavericks update

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by BJB Productions, Oct 22, 2013.

1. BJB Productions macrumors 65816

BJB Productions

Hi all-
    Upon upgrading to Mavericks, my MacBook Pro will now no longer function. I can get past the Apple logo and to the desktop, but once I get there, it completely freezes and just pinwheels forever. I can't force quit, or do anything for that matter. The only thing that works is a hard shutdown.

Any suggestions?

2. skiffx macrumors 6502a

3. mykelala01 macrumors 6502

mykelala01

hold Options/alt before its start and do a recovery

----------

If he created a bootable USB if not, you must have another Mac to do it

4. BJB Productions thread starter macrumors 65816

BJB Productions

I'm doing a clean reinstall from recovery and I'll see what happens. I did not create a bootable USB.

5. BJB Productions thread starter macrumors 65816

BJB Productions

Did a reinstall, it's still freezing as soon as the desktop shows up. Any other ideas? I don't have a recent time machine backup, but I'll try to make one now.

6. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

Create a new user account and then boot to that account and see if the issues persists. If they don't it is something within your profile. If they do, then it is a system issue.

7. BJB Productions thread starter macrumors 65816

BJB Productions

I'm able to startup and run the computer in Safe Boot mode. I noticed that Adobe CC and Spotify were appearing to maybe the the reason for the crashing. I'm in Safe Boot mode now and am going to delete those apps and try again.

8. BJB Productions thread starter macrumors 65816

BJB Productions

I am able to create a new user just fine. However, where it breaks down is now how do I get the files from my old user to the new user? What is the best way to do this? I can't access my Time Machine files because I don't have permission to view them. Should I just try to allow file sharing of my entire user and then copy that way?

9. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

Since the new account doesn't do it then I would try disabling all login and start up items and see if it fixes that accounts issue. If it does than start adding them back one by one until the issue resurfaces and that is the culprit app. It might not be useable in Mavericks.