2011 MBP dead

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by boomhower, Sep 11, 2014.

1. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

I need some help/suggestions. I have a 15" 2011 MBP. Tonight it quite turning on. It's been having times where it will just go to sleep and be a little difficult waking up. Not it's just completely dead. Charger doesn't light up showing it's charging. Nothing plugged in via USB charges either. Evidently there is a power problem somewhere. Ideas of what's wrong and/or where to get it repaired? This really ruined my weekend.

2. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Perhaps Radeongate may have hit your MBP.

3. boomhower thread starter macrumors 68000

boomhower

I take it there is a high failure rate on the video cars? Apple doing anything for those affected? Apple the best place to send to or are there third party folks who do good work for a cheaper price?

4. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Apple hasn't done jack **** for us customers who got bummed by Radeongate.

Apple is the worst place to send to, because they'll replace the logic board, and the replacement boards also have the same manufacturing flaw that causes Radeongate to occur again.

Unless you can find a third party who can reball your GPU with leaded solder and reapply the thermal paste on it, your Mac is going to become a fancy paperweight.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Given the symptoms, It doesn't sound like a GPU failure, but some other hardware failure. Either way OP, take it into apple and let them run a diagnostic on it and figure out the failure and the potential cost of repair.

6. amazinjoey macrumors newbie

had the same problem the other day , just open it up , disconnect the battery for 5min and connect the battery again , and now it works

7. boomhower thread starter macrumors 68000

boomhower

I'll give it a shot

8. boomhower thread starter macrumors 68000

boomhower

Can't find my tiny screw driver kit so it's going to be a day or two before I can try it.

9. boomhower thread starter macrumors 68000

boomhower

You are a lifesaver, worked like a charm!!! It does beg the question why this happens, I am wanting to put on my tin foil conspiracy theory hat...

10. komiothebeat macrumors 6502

komiothebeat

This is not looking good for my 2008 Mbp... It's like all his friends around him are dying and it's only a matter of time ....