2011 MBP Dynamic GPU Issue? :(

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Pengapine, Jun 14, 2011.

1. Pengapine macrumors member

Hi,

I recently purchased the high-end 2011 15" MBP along with the ACD. Since last week I have noticed couple of issues. The issues began last week, when I pushed through an update for Parallel 6. I noticed that when I access my Bootcamp 64 Windows, I was no longer able to get the highest resolution (even when hooked on to my ACD). When I looked at drivers in use, it looked like it only recognized the Intel GPU. Then this week, when I unhook my mbp from the ACD, the computer was on, but I wasn't able to get the laptop monitor to turn on even though the rest of the computer was still on. I had to do a hard reboot to get the monitor back on. I suspected it was the dynamic gpu, so when I pinpointed the the gfx status program to use either intel or the ATI gpu, I got the pinwheels and I was forced to do a hard reboot again.

Anyone else experiencing this? Or know what might be causing this issue?
    I am thinking about bringing it to the Apple Store (I have apple care) just to have them look at it, but wanted to get everyone thoughts as to what the issue could be. Could it be the Parallel 6 update? Or is this a hardware issue?

2. Kyzelios macrumors 6502

I'd recommend uninstalling Parallels first to troubleshoot whether the issue lies with the software or if it is indeed a hardware issue. If uninstalling Parallels doesn't work, take it into the Genius Bar at an Apple Store or contact an authorized service provider to take a look at it.

Best of luck and have a great day. :)

3. Pengapine thread starter macrumors member

I was contemplating the same thing. I am an apple newb. Is there an way that I could rollback on a specific update rather than uninstall Parallel entirely? I looked around on Mroogle but could find it. Please let me know.

4. Kyzelios macrumors 6502

I'm pretty sure with Parallels you would need to uninstall the entire application. This shouldn't effect your virtual machines that you've created.

For detailed instructions on how to remove Parallels 6 for Mac, see http://kb.parallels.com/9087.

Let us know what happens and if removing Parallels improves the situation at all.