2011 MBP Fans constantly on full blast

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by davie18, May 23, 2017.

1. davie18 macrumors regular

In the last day or two my MBP has developed a problem where the fans are constantly on full blast which is becoming rather annoying. Here's a screenshot of what my activity monitor looks like with nothing open, there seems to be quite high cpu usage? I'm guessing this is the issue but how can I reduce it, since nothing that is listed is using any cpu.

It's taken some abuse over the years and has seen better days, and pretty soon it's probably time to send it to laptop heaven, but it would be nice to get this fixed so I can get a little bit more use out of it since it's still been working perfectly fine for browsing the web.

2. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

CPU load is extremely high. That's really really unusual. Let's just try a few things:

1) Can I confirm if you have the 13" MBP, or the 15/17" MBP?
    2) Restart the machine with reopen windows when logging back in unchecked/disabled. Does the issue persist?
    3) Try SMC/PRAM reset.
    4) What OS version do you have?
    5) Any upgrades currently installed (RAM/SSD)?

3. davie18 thread starter macrumors regular

Hey, thanks for the reply.

I've actually just managed to fix it. I realised I hadn't tried a malware check, so I ran a scan using 'malware bytes', deleted all the things it found, and now it's back to normal after a restart. Total cpu usage is now only 10% with spotify and chrome open so it looks all good.

Thanks for the suggestions though!

4. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Also consider getting the free software EtreCheck and think of like a system report on steroids! Expect this on will show you the path to the old plugins, hackies or old programs that you could manually delete. One caveat is if you delete anything the safe thing is to restart!

5. ApolloBoy macrumors 6502a

ApolloBoy

Have you cleaned out the insides yet? I'd probably hit up the fans with some compressed air if you haven't already.