2011 MBP GPU Failing?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by matty1551, Nov 7, 2014.

1. matty1551 macrumors 6502

I had my GPU replaced less than a month ago. I'm weary of my replacement because a few times on boot I've seen screen distortion on the apple boot screen. It happens so fast and random that I can't capture a picture.

With people coming out of the woodwork lately with GPU issues, I wanted to test my machine out a bit more and see how my GPU coped.

I ran the benchmark test "unigine valley" and "unigine heaven"

The benchmarks ran fine but when I turn anti aliasing on to any level, I get entire screen distortion. It goes back to normal as soon as I disable AA.

Then I tried a game. Half Life 2 is what I chose and it ran perfectly with everything maxed, even with AA on. But I'm wondering if maybe I just didn't have the issue because of how old the game is? Are there any mac demos of more recent games that will really tax my machine?

Anyway, I really need some input on this issue so I know if I should make another trip to the Genius Bar. Thanks in advance.

PIC (Unigine Heaven AA On)

Attached Files:

2. GoldfishRT macrumors 6502

GoldfishRT

Until they completely fail they definitely exhibit weird behavior much like you're describing.

3. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

It could be a problem with the application you get the error in.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The level of corruption certainly does seem like its a hardware failure to me :(