2011 MBP GPU problem - anyone delete the driver files?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by slapple, Oct 5, 2014.

1. slapple macrumors 6502

I have a 2011 MBP with the dead discrete GPU. Right now I'm using the gfxCardStatus workaround to force the MBP to use the integrated GPU. But whenever I have to reboot, it might freeze up to 30 times before it finally lets me login to OS X. So I want to try a different workaround.

I've read that you can delete the discrete GPU drivers by going into /System/Library/Extensions and moving/deleting all the AMD* or ATI* files. This will force OS X to use the integrated GPU. Has anyone done this? If so, have you had any problems? I've seen a few people say they did that and then they couldn't play certain video files, couldn't adjust the screen brightness, and their web browser started flashing.

2. yjchua95 macrumors 604

It actually doesn't force the iGPU. In fact, it only gives some emulated form of graphics (something like the Windows SVGA driver used when no graphics card drivers are installed).

Even Intel HD 3000 is smooth on itself. But deleting the drivers would lead to extremely choppy, unusable performance.

Go reball your GPU. That's the only solution.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

There's unfortunately no work around for a dead dGPU.

4. nudoru macrumors regular

I've seen people doing this on Apple's forums, but the results is an odd display tint and incredibly slow performance. But the computer does work again. It's not a fix, but I suppose if you needed it get back in and back up files it would be worth while.

The only fix is a reball or a replacement computer.

5. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

The result was an unstable machine. I would try this
    first.

6. slapple thread starter macrumors 6502

I Googled for that and didn't see anyone else mention it. What exactly does that do?

7. Ghostwritertje macrumors newbie

I have the same issue since today :(

I actually deleted those driver files, but I don't recommend it! It feels like I am using a graphics card without a driver. Really bummed about that, but I had no choice. My MacBook Pro wasn't booting up at all anymore.

If I were you I would set it at integrated graphics and never shut down that MacBook. I wish I could do the same.

8. Gav Mack macrumors 68020

Gav Mack

Just get it reballed with a fresh GPU ideally with lead solder it doesn't scorch the board as much as the depot boards at 185c instead of 220 ish with lead free. Lead is absolutely proven to be better with fast heat cycles, that why the generating, medical and infrastructure industries are exempt and use it.

GPU must be made after 2011, referred 9 so far to a UK agent here for about £190 on eBay and none have failed. He uses less and better paste and polishes the plates unlike apple. :mad:

9. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

It disables the GPU switching before the login screen appears. Otherwise you see just a grey, blue or "frozen" login screen.

This should give you a chance to activate the iGPU with gfxCardStatus. <-- This is necessary after each reboot.

10. slapple thread starter macrumors 6502

Sorry for the delay, didn't see this reply until now. So that forces it to boot up with the iGPU? I think the reason it turns grey/blue/frozen on bootup is because it tries to use the discrete GPU. So if it boots up using the iGPU, would I still need to use gfxCardStatus?

11. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

Yes. gfxCardStatus can disable the dGPU.

12. slapple thread starter macrumors 6502

So even after it boots up using the iGPU, it could switch back to the dGPU? That "sudo nvram gpu-policy=%01" command doesn't last after you login?

13. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

The value is still in the NVRAM, and the OS reads value from the NVRAM at startup.

In a Terminal window type:
    Code:
    sudo nvram -p
    This shows you the contents of the NVRAM.