2011 MBP graphics issue UK

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bcburrows, Oct 8, 2016.

1. bcburrows macrumors 6502

bcburrows

I have a 2011 MBP, the one with the dodgy graphics card issue. Apple are now replacing the logic board for the third time - but obviously it is a known hardware issue and so they are replacing like for like!

They said this is not an excessive number of replacements, and that as they are paying it is no big issue. BUT the replacement program ends in December, and then they won't do anything - I would have to pay!

Apple do not deal with the ombudsman, so cant complain there. Wondered if anyone else had this issue and how they sorted it.

Thanks

2. davidjearly macrumors 68020

davidjearly

Hi, well I bought a used MBP from someone on here a few months ago, which then developed the well-known graphics fault which is covered until December. I knew before buying it that it had been repaired for a few issues, but when it happened again, I contacted my Apple Store.

It turns out the Mac had been repaired 7 times, and without even asking, Apple swapped it out for a current generation 15 rMBP, maxed out 2015 model. I was absolutely delighted with this.

I'd suggest trying to contact a senior AppleCare advisor and explain your concerns to them. After Apple offered to swap mine, I did raise that I would be glad not to have to worry about the fault happening again after the programme ends in December and they understood where I was coming from. Good luck.