2011 MBP Hard Freeze

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ahdickter, Aug 28, 2011.

1. ahdickter macrumors 6502

I have a 15" 2011 MBP I bought in March. Whenever I play Bad Company 2 in Windows, it freezes and the only way to fix the problem is a hard reset. It's the only game the problem occurs in. Is it my revision number of my MBP? I'm wondering if Apple will replace it for a newer revision....

Specs:
    2.2ghz Core i7
    1GB 6750m
    750GB HDD
    4GB Ram

2. bb426 macrumors 6502

bb426

Have you updated to the most recent version of Bootcamp via Software Update in Windows? What about Windows Update (SP1?)

Make sure you have all the updates in OS X as well.

If it's only one game, I doubt it's a bad MBP. Apple won't replace it for a problem that you're experiencing on Windows.

3. ahdickter thread starter macrumors 6502

Every update is installed in Bootcamp and Lion. I went into the Apple Store and they gave me a new machine (although they were very rude about it.) But they gave me one of the same revision number. Could that be it?

4. bb426 macrumors 6502

bb426

Wow, they actually gave you a new machine because of that? I'm surprised...

Does it still happen on the new machine? And I couldn't tell ya if it has to do with a new revision. I don't know anything about new revisions of 2011 MBP's... didn't know there were any? :confused: Perhaps someone else will be able to answer that for you.

MBP's are meant to run OS X.... Bootcamp is more of a marketing gig, though it is effective because it generally runs very nicely. If it does the same thing on the new machine, I would say that there is an update needed on someone's part (MS, Apple, or the game's).

5. Freyqq macrumors 68040

6. bb426 macrumors 6502

bb426

Very good possibility. Didn't even cross my mind.

When I had Bootcamp installed, I used Driver Genius to update the drivers (including the graphics driver and Intel chipset drivers, which were all pretty out of date). I noticed an overall improvement of performance (not to mention the ability to adjust graphics options on the AMD side of things through CCC, which Apple does not include by default).

I hate driver updater programs, they're really stupid and not always worth the money. Though there are ways around that ;)

7. ahdickter thread starter macrumors 6502

My friend has the same drivers, same programs, etc. Except an older revision.

8. bb426 macrumors 6502

bb426

What is your revision and what is his?

9. ahdickter thread starter macrumors 6502