2011 MBP HDMI problem with Sony Bravia TV

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mrmojo73, May 19, 2011.

1. mrmojo73 macrumors newbie

Hi All,

This is my first post and I'm hoping that I can get some words of wisdom from you all here on the forum. I recently returned to Apple after many years absence through a purchase of a base model 2011 15" MBP. It's been a great investment and I don't see myself going back to PC for a very long time.

There is only one thing that is really irritating me. When I connect the MBP to my Sony Bravia LCD TV (40EX600) via an HMDI cable after a random period of time the picture on the TV will change to pink and blue. If I wait long enough (can vary from seconds to 10's of minutes) the problem will resolve itself otherwise it is necessary to switch to another HDMI input on the TV and then back to the one with the MBP and HMDI cable. This occurs regardless of which application I'm running.

I have tried different HDMI inputs on the TV, installed all of the latest updates for the TV and MBP without any resolution. I have also used the MBP and HDMI cable on another LCD TV (not a Sony) without the problem occurring.

I have searched for a solution on different forums and found that there was a similar issue with Apple TV which was resolved I think through a software update and changing the ATV output to RGB. These solutions are not available for the MBP.

Any help or insight would be much appreciated.

2. mrmojo73 thread starter macrumors newbie

I guess this isn't a common issue then. I'll try a few more things to see if that solves the issue.

3. TXBDan macrumors regular

quite strange. Maybe try a new cable?

I run my MBP into my 40Z5100 all the time and it works great.

4. mrmojo73 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi TXB,

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, changing the cable doesn't work either...:(

5. kbright1892 macrumors member

I actually have the same problem. I've got a 46EX700. It won't display 1080P at 60hz and I get flickering issues. I haven't tried it since the last updates but I don't know if there was anything in them to fix it either.

6. Cannabis2011 macrumors newbie

Same case here

I also have a similar issue with my MBP 13" 2011 and my sony bravia 37" tv, but in my case, it´s only in OSX. In Windows 7 there is no issues.