2011 MBP + hengedock

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by RJP31484, Mar 14, 2011.

1. RJP31484 macrumors regular

Anyone using the new 2011 macbook pros with a hengedock? do they work with the brand new ones? any known issues?

thanks!

2. MrX8503 macrumors 68000

I have one and I love it, but there are some issues.

1. It leaves minor white plastic marks, but it can be wiped away.
    2. The docking doesn't work 100% of the time. I would say 90%.
    3. Some 3rd party mini dp adapters will not work/fit.

The dock definitely does work with the 2011 MBP as I'm using one with mine right now (MBP13). I recommend purchasing their minidp cable at the same time because I thought my 3rd party one would fit so I had to pay shipping a second time just to get the cable.

3. RJP31484 thread starter macrumors regular

What do you mean by doesnt work all the time?

thanks for your quick response!

4. v2kea412 macrumors member

I also am interested in hearing about this docking solution... I remember with my pre-unibody 2008 MBP, I really couldn't find jack for docking solutions.... so every morning for the past 3 years, I plug my DVI in, 2 USBs, ethernet and power.... Guess I am use to it by now but this seems like a much better solution for me!

5. tjb1 macrumors 68000

I use one on my 2010 15" and I had to bend my ebay hdmi adapter so it would line up with the computer mdp port but other than that its been fine and works great.

6. MrX8503 macrumors 68000

Well for the dock to work the MBP has to be charging, have a wireless keyboard, and a wireless mouse.

Along with those three things you may have other ports too such as firewire, ethernet, USB. This is a lot of ports that the MBP has to line up exactly.

So lets say you dock your MBP 10 times, out of those ten times not every single port will successfully be seated correctly in the port. Taking the MBP out of the dock and re docking it fixes the seating problem though.

Overall I'm satisfied with the product because it looks dang sexy next to my 27" ACD and there isn't really a docking solution out there like this.

Its very cool to drop it in a dock and all of your external hard drives are connected and your iPhone/iPad syncs up.

7. NikFinn macrumors 6502a

NikFinn

Do you also get the white marks?

8. iMacDragon macrumors 65816

iMacDragon

If nothing else, hopefully someone will make a dock using thunderbolt now.. it should be ideally suited to providing everything on one port.

9. TheFarmer macrumors 6502

I have two for my aluminum unibody 13" MBP. I've been using them for well over a year now, one at my house and one at the apartment in the city. Very convenient. Like others have stated, it does leave marks on your MB but you can wipe it off.