2011 MBP High Cpu Temps

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by whatlifeforme, Jul 6, 2017.

1. whatlifeforme macrumors member

If i run my fans at max with "macs fan control" then my cpu temps stay around 55-62c.

however, if i don't use the apps and let apple defaults take natural control, the temps hit 80c and the fans don't rev up automatically. why could this be?

i installed "smc fan control"and "Macs Fan control" , are they somehow affecting fan even when closed?

i'm thinking of taking it into the repair shot to have a look.

i shouldn't have to use fan software. it should work naturally. plus, i worry about my fan wearing out running it at max all the time.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

What you're seeing is very normal. The CPU can reach at stay at 100C without a problem for extended periods of time. Just let the system work as it was designed and stop worrying about it.

3. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

80 degrees is well within the thermal limits of the CPU and macs will run a little hot rather than be noisy that simple really. Until it's constantly over 100 degrees you don't have an issue.

4. New_Mac_Smell macrumors 65816

New_Mac_Smell

The fan is unlikely to wear out as you put it, I really wouldn't worry and absolutely don't faff around with fan software. The system is designed to manage it's own temperature, all you're doing by setting the fans manually is forcing more stress or potentially reducing efficiency.

As others have said, 100' is the operational sustained limit. It's a laptop and will run hotter than a desktop, it's also an older one and so will be more noticeably warmer/louder than a newer one.

Get some compressed air and give it a clean, that normally works wonders.