2011 MBP high res screen going crazy

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by buryyourbrideau, Jul 15, 2011.

1. buryyourbrideau macrumors 65816

buryyourbrideau

Just started doing this a few weeks ago, not all the time, comes and goes.

Also only does it on the main display, not when connected to my Dell external.

Think its the display? Video card?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The red is supposed to be black obviously, any ideas?

2. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

3. DKTacts macrumors member

Bring that to an apple store immediately. Show them the pictures that you posted here too.

4. Jukes316 macrumors regular

Hey. Mine is sort of doing the same thing. I don't have the High Res though. Just regular glossy.
    I was changing the settings in SC2 and it started happening. Getting slowly worse.
    It's a refurb. I don't really want to have to send it all the way back and then wait for another. :(
    Any options?

5. UCF Sam macrumors regular

No, its a hardware problem. Even if you could fix it yourself it wouldn't be worth because if you failed you could potentially void your warranty.

6. sporadicMotion macrumors 65816

sporadicMotion

Bring that back! I bet we start seeing a lot of these. I'll put money down that the heat on the insides of these are causing issues with the soldered connections.

7. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

You missed the part when the OP said that there were no problems on the external display, only on the internal display; this rules out possibility of a bad gpu.

8. Jukes316 macrumors regular

Should I take it to a store or send it back to them?

9. ahdickter macrumors 6502

It's still a possible GPU/logic board problem. If the connection from the GPU to the LCD screen is deteriorating, that could be causing the flare-ups. It might not be happening on the external display because the circuitry from the GPU to the port is perfectly fine.

10. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

Take it to a store. IMHO

11. randomrazr macrumors 65816

12. peace4al macrumors newbie

Its the Intel HD 3000 failure
    Intel IGP are an epic fail

13. buryyourbrideau thread starter macrumors 65816

buryyourbrideau

Yeah I think I'm taking it in this week, super bummed though because its a BTO and therefore, I don't think I'll be able to get it replaced in store...

14. fat jez macrumors 68000

fat jez

Excellent point, as soon as we connect it to the external display, the discrete GPU kicks in.

Might be worth installing gfxcardstatus and forcing the display to use the discrete GPU to verify it's not the panel, but I reckon peace4al is right.

They'll be able to do a logic board replacement in store.

15. peace4al macrumors newbie

I had an 2010 top end 17" MBP. I had the same problem with Intel HD graphics on that genration of MBP's. I used gfxcardstatus to confirm it was the integrated GPU and not the Nvidia 330m. I was able to produce the exact problem in front of the folks at genius bar and they agreed that there were problems with intel GPU's.
    Since OP has confirmed the same exact issue with HD 3000, IMHO the intel GPU's are severely underpowered to handle load put by Mac OSX.
    Intel IGP solutions are more of a time bomb !

16. head honcho 123 macrumors 6502

17. buryyourbrideau thread starter macrumors 65816

buryyourbrideau

Headed out of town this week so I'll be stopping by the store early next week.

Wanting to get the updated cinema display so I'm trying to kill two birds with one stone.

18. buryyourbrideau thread starter macrumors 65816

buryyourbrideau

Now in the Apple store for repair.

I told them I thought it was the logic board and they took it without saying much.

Hope to have it back soon.

19. hcho3 macrumors 68030

I blame anti glare display. Apple messed it up.

20. buryyourbrideau thread starter macrumors 65816

buryyourbrideau

UPDATE:

Got it back from Apple, new Logic Board and new display.

Seems to be running much cooler now as well, maybe they held off on all that damn thermal paste this time.

21. Waj93 macrumors newbie

Of course the best you can do about it is to take it back to the Apple hardware store and let them fix it for you. Quality is the only thing that discriminates between Apple and all the other brands out there. If we start to get such errors even on the apple devices, then I don't think there is any difference left between Apple and any other brand. However, before taking it back, try installing the latest version of the Graphics drivers available and also try setting the resolution to a bit lower level. This worked for me.[​IMG]

22. AppleTech22 macrumors 6502

My aunt had a problem with her refurb and they replaced it with a brand new one out of the apple store.

23. jamezr macrumors G4

jamezr

I agree! I think it is a bad display screen... But take it an Apple store and they will take care of it for you.....

24. srshaw macrumors 6502

I ordered a mbp base 15" with hires glossy, and when it got hot, it started to put green lines at the left off the screen paint the darker areas of the screen with a bright green. I'm pretty sure it was doing it when using the external graphics card, but had the mac replaced before I could really investigate it. My new mac seems fine.