2011 MBP + Internet recovery

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nigameash, Sep 15, 2011.

1. nigameash macrumors 6502

I got a 2011 mbp and today the firmware update to enable internet recovery was released. I did not buy lion, it came preloaded with my system. Will it get linked to my apple id or will the serial number of the system be enough for apple to recognize it and let me redownload lion.

2. grahamnp macrumors 6502a

Are you referring to the firmware update itself or the possibility of you needing to redownload Lion in the future? Running software update should be enough to keep it up to date, including the firmware? Not quite sure how the redownload works though, sorry.

3. nigameash thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm referring to the possibility of re-downloading lion in the future, I want to know how the re-download works.

4. MoonshineSG macrumors member

I have replaced my HDD with a SSD on my newly purchased MBP 15. I had to reinstall Lion on the new drive and attempted to do a internet recovery. All went well until it asked me for my apple ID, then complained that there is no Lion purchase made by this id (which is correct, because the Lion came pre installed)

I called apple support and I've been told that I was not supposed to see a question regarding the apple ID... When I asked them what ca I do, they kindly offered to send me a Lion thumb-drive if I'm ok with that. Of course I was ok... 2 days later it arrived via DHL...

Back to your original question, theoretically it's linked with the serial number and should be able to re-install it anytime you want...