2011 MBP Internet Recovery

Standard

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 8, 2008
Canada
Has anyone had an issue with Internet Recovery? I just got my logic board replaced by Apple and I installed my new Samsung SSD. I am trying to install OS X with Internet Recovery Mode. Once I type in my Wifi address and password it will just spin for an hour with no changes.

Is my only option to create a USB installer?

ps. Does anyone know where I can order Torx screws for the Disk Mount?

Thanks.

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
I've done it without any problems in the past. Can you try using ethernet?

Check out either ifixit for those tools or Amazon

chabig

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
It can only boot as fast as your internet connection permits a (minimal) operating system to be downloaded. An hour might not be long enough.

CoastalOR

macrumors 68020
Jan 19, 2015
Oregon, USA
Has anyone had an issue with Internet Recovery? I just got my logic board replaced by Apple and I installed my new Samsung SSD. I am trying to install OS X with Internet Recovery Mode. Once I type in my Wifi address and password it will just spin for an hour with no changes.
Is my only option to create a USB installer?
ps. Does anyone know where I can order Torx screws for the Disk Mount?
Thanks.
I tried using Internet Recovery on my 2011 MBP and got an error message (I do not remember what it was). Fortunately I also had a USB installer available, which worked fine. I do not think using a USB installer is the "only" option, but I think it is the best. Using a USB installer is faster, more reliable, and gives you more flexibility for future troubleshooting.