2011 MBP: Logic board failed for third time

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by alec6542, Mar 24, 2014.

1. alec6542 macrumors regular

Hi guys,

So I bought a brand new 15 inch Macbook Pro back in late 2011. A month after purchasing, the logic board failed and was replaced under warranty. This scared me a little so I took the plunge and purchased the quite expensive AppleCare warranty one day before the standard warranty was up. Well, good thing I did because about a months ago my logic board failed again. This time it was related to the graphics chip, as I could hear the startup chime but nothing would come up on the screen. Apple again replaced the logic board under AppleCare. Well, yesterday when I woke up and tried to turn on my computer it's now doing the exact same thing as last time. Graphics chip has definitely failed again. At this point I am getting a little frustrated. Sure Apple will replace the logic board again for free, but at this point I have no reason to believe the exact same thing is not going to happen again. Do you think I have a chance at getting a replacement unit if I play my cards right? Obviously they won't just offer me a replacement, but I would think that three failed logic boards in less than 3 years is getting into lemon territory. Any thoughts on how to approach this?

2. yjchua95 macrumors 604

The Radeongate issue still persists, even after LB replacements. This is because Apple commonly uses refurb boards in replacements, so the issue will still persist.

The only way for a guaranteed repair is to send your MBP in for a GPU reflow/reball service.

Send it in for the third time, and by that stage, Apple will most likely just give you a new laptop.

3. alec6542 thread starter macrumors regular

Question, in your opinion do you think they replaced my logic board last time or jus took it out, baked it, and put it back? Because I could have sworn the one in there now is different than before. I think before it did have a Radeon GPU, the one now is an Intel HD Graphics 3000.

4. yjchua95 macrumors 604

15" 2011 MBPs have both Intel HD 3000 and AMD Radeon 6490M/6750M/6770M. It will only appear as Intel HD 3000 if there is no running app that requires the Radeon.

They definitely replaced your LB, but the replacement LB also had the Radeongate issue, which is not uncommon.

5. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

It has both; it'll switch to the Radeon when you load a game or do something else "video intensive".

Edit: Missed it by that much! :p

6. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Basically, typical apps that require the Radeon are games, Photoshop and video-editing apps.

Yeah, I beat you to it by a hair's breadth :D

7. alec6542 thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah I was just about to edit my post I forgot about that. :/

8. oiuh151 macrumors 6502

Are certain models unaffected by this issue or are they all destined to fail? Mine still works thankfully and I've had zero issues even after gaming for hours on end for years.

9. yjchua95 macrumors 604

All 15" and 17" MBPs built in 2011 with Radeon GPUs will fail eventually. Mine failed exactly 3 years after its purchase (blew up 2 days after AppleCare expired).

The reason for the failure was due to the over-application of thermal paste during the manufacturing process. So all are destined to fail; the question is, when will it fail?

10. nickandre21 macrumors 6502a

Well this time around take it to the store and have it diagnosed if its the logic board then ask the genius for a permanent solution also let them know this would be the third time your board is getting changed. They usually for some cases replace on the 4th repair on the same part or it depends on them its as per the case. I would also suggest speaking to an apple care senior.