2011 MBP misreporting temperature under Windows 7?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by adrian1480, Mar 12, 2011.

1. adrian1480 macrumors 6502

Hey guys, having an issue that I'm hoping I'm not alone on:

I just finished installing Win7 on my 2011 MBP (17") and the GPU temperature is being grossly misreported:

[​IMG]

obviously my GPU isn't tracking at 140,000C+, but none of my other Windows temperature monitoring apps seem to be reporting it correctly either. ATI Afterburner also shows similarly ridiculous temperatures. Am I alone on this one or do others see the same issue with HWMonitor?

For perspective: GPU temperature is reported correctly in OS X. This problem is only occurring in Windows 7. The original GPU drivers and the 11.4 beta drivers have been tried. All with the same result.

thoughts?

2. Kyzelios macrumors 6502

That's really strange. My guess is that it's software related if Mac OS X is reporting the temperature correctly.

It doesn't appear to be affecting the rate of which your fans are spinning on the unit (which should be controlled by the System Management Controller even under Windows), so I'd say it's probably just not being reported properly under Windows.

I've seen this happen with an ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650 graphics card on an HP Pavilion computer before and it turned out to be a driver issue, upgrading to the latest ATI Catalyst release fixed it. You may have to wait until Apple or ATI roll out a newer set of drivers.

Have a great day. :)

3. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

can you get fan speeds under load? - I've seen evidence to suggest windows only increases the speed of one of the fans.

4. adrian1480 thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks for the responses, guys.

sure, I'll run the Crysis 2 beta and see what the fans do and post the results.

I'm wondering if anyone else with a 2011 MBP with Windows installed wouldn't mind posting their HWMonitor screenshots (or simply verifying they are or are not getting similar numbers under HWMonitor).

5. Kyzelios macrumors 6502

If you want to stress out the graphics card, try running FurMark - it's a great utility for stress testing.

6. adrian1480 thread starter macrumors 6502

after 30 minutes of Crysis 2 Beta:[​IMG]

both fans clearly appear to be working properly, despite the misreported temp.

both tems scaled back down normall as well. After a couple of minutes, it looks like this:

[​IMG]

lol @ the minimum GPU temperature. orly?

can anyone else with a 2011 verify this phenomenon on their MBP?

7. adrian1480 thread starter macrumors 6502

again, can anyone else with a 2011 MBP see if their computer is misreporting as well? I'd like to know if I need to try to get the machine replaced or if it's just a driver issue. Considering how many people have installed Windows 7 (benchmarking thread), I'd think someone would be able to take a moment to check.

thanks, guys.

8. i hate phones macrumors 6502a

i'm having a similar issue... lubbo's fan control reports gpu2 at 90c with an warning looking icon. My mbp feels a ton warmer when I run windows and my fans weren't increasing so I was a bit worried, but maybe its just a misreading? I just downloaded the program you used and i'm showing...

Attached Files:

9. striker33 macrumors 65816

striker33

Mine is yes. Has been since the new MBP's were released.

Might just means new bootcamp drivers are needed.

10. adrian1480 thread starter macrumors 6502

good to hear.

I can sleep much easier knowing it's just a driver thing. thanks for checking, guys.

i hate phones: yes, that's why Lubbo's is going crazy and spinning the fans to max. It thinks the temp is a few hundred C. lol.