2011 MBP no booting

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tom438, Aug 2, 2016.

1. tom438 macrumors newbie

My 2011 MacBook Pro 15" crashed a couple of nights ago and I had to power it off with the power button.
    I tried starting it today and it would only load halfway through the boot screen then stop. Tried again and it loaded halfway then the display cut out then came back gray.
    I can't seem to get it to load into recovery mode, and when I try safe mode it loads the whole way eventually then freezes.

I replaced the HDD with an SSD a couple of years ago and the RAM shortly before that.

I've been traveling recently so unfortunately don't have an up to date time machine backup.

Does anyone have any suggestions to help get it going?

Thanks

2. JTToft macrumors 68040

As above.

Ensure you get your data out before handing it in if you don't have a backup.

3. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Yep, as Tube mentioned, it sounds like graphics failure. Apple will repair it for you free-of-charge.

4. tom438 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok. As it loads with the apple on screen I assumed it wouldn't be a video issue but I have heard of problems with this model. Will take it to apple as soon as possible. Could it be a problem with the SSD at all?
    By getting my data out do you mean removing the SSD and putting the original HDD back in before I take it to get it serviced?

Thanks guys.

5. JTToft macrumors 68040

- Unlikely, but I suppose. Crashes and the display cutting out sounds more like graphics. Have you had any other video related issues? Random restarts, distorted video, coloured lines, etc.?

- That would be one way, yes. Apple won't necessarily care that you have important information on it.

6. tom438 thread starter macrumors newbie

No random restarts in a long time. Occasionally getting random lines across the display when I'm trying to start it up now or in the past if I connected an external display. When I get back ill put the old HDD in and test it with that to see if it fixes the problem.
    Out of curiosity would you happen to know whether it should still work in target mode as it is? I have a family members Mac I could connect it to to try and save the data if so.

7. tubeexperience macrumors 68030

It's a problem with the dGPU. It is not any other issue. Period.

Yes

Don't bother: it's a waste of time.

Just take out the SSD and put in the HDD, then bring the laptop to an Apple Store.

8. JTToft macrumors 68040

- Target mode should work, I think. But the better option is to take out the SSD. One has heard stories of people getting their machines back from repair to find upgraded parts replaced with stock parts.

You have the GPU issue, and it needs to be serviced. Nothing else will fix it.

9. tom438 thread starter macrumors newbie

10. JTToft macrumors 68040

- Not a problem.