2011 MBP only starts *after* letting it run hot [What's causing this?]

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Tamasi, Aug 8, 2015.

1. Tamasi macrumors member

Hi All,

I've got a 2011 MBP, it's logic board got replaced a little over 1 year ago under warranty.

I'm currently experiencing the following issue:
    - My MBP suddenly crashes every now (increasingly frequent): the screen just freezes, even the time remains the same, no beachball though.
    - Successfully restarting the computer (via a hard reboot) is then very difficult; typically horizontal bars and a broken Apple logo appear first.
    - Previously I was able to get it start up properly after a few attempts by randomly doing any of the following things: COMMAND+R, OPTION+R+COMMAND+P, and/or replacing/switching my RAM modules (typically leaving one slot open), whilst hard rebooting after each attempt.
    - However the issue has become more severe and problematic now; what's interesting is that currently the only way to get it boot up is the following: start the MBP so that first the horizontal bars and broken Apple logo appear, wait a little longer until the completely grey screen appear, then leave it on like that until the fans are spinning to the max. When I subsequently do a hard reboot the MBP starts up just fine. Weird right?

Any expert thoughts on what might be causing the issue, and more interestingly; what could be the fix?

Many thanks for any and all help and thoughts!

2. Fishrrman macrumors G3

Is your MBP one of those that is subject to "RadeonGate" ??

If so, take it to Apple (even thought the logic board has already been replaced once).
    They may replace it again under the extended warranty program that is in effect until 2016 (not sure when it ends).

I don't have a MacBook that has experienced RadeonGate, but my readings from others who do have one indicate that the replacement logic boards are STILL susceptible to the problem. So it's possible that even though you've already had one replacement, the replacement may have now failed, and another replacement is in order...