2011 MBP - opinions on LCD panel?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by deep13, Feb 26, 2011.

1. deep13 macrumors newbie

Some quick background info: I purchased a 17" i7 MBP in late 2010, but had to return it (and pay the restocking fee) because the display hurt my eyes. Upon further review, that MBP came with one of the lower quality LCD panels (9CD0).

Ever since then, I've been paranoid about getting a new MBP.

For those who have owned both the 2010 & 2011 models -- can you tell any difference between the two LCDs? Good, better, otherwise? Any thoughts or feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks.

2. Soulfly737 macrumors newbie

deep13,

It depends on why the screen was bothering your eyes.
    If you have been a regular windows user, then you may be having a problem with the way the fonts are being rendered in OSX.

Here's a good article on the differences.

http://www.joelonsoftware.com/items/2007/06/12.html

Maybe it was just that particular panel. Only you can answer that one.

BTW, I had the same problem a couple years back. Returned as well.

People say that your eyes get used to it. Not sure that is really a good thing.

Good luck.

3. suckatcomputers macrumors regular

Reducing the brightness and keeping my distance worked minimally for me.

I must say I'm slowly getting used to it, but I don't know how anybody can be happy about getting used to pain.

Headaches are killing me. On my desktops, I would still get headaches but after 3+ hours of non-stop, intense staring/working. With my new 13" MBP, I'm on for about 30 minutes and I usually get a headache when I stand up. The worst part is how long my headache lasts.

Depends on the individual. My friends are on computers 60+ hours a week and they are fine (or at least they think so).

Do you get headaches on non-LED screens or other computers?

Here is something I posted on another thread, but to be honest, I'm contemplating returning my MBP. Health is wealth:

Most helpful methods for me:

-Keeping my distance from the monitor (difficult on a 13").
    -20-20-20 rule: every 20 minutes, stare at something about 20 feet away for 20 seconds. I've taken this to another level by taking a walk every 40 minutes.
    -Position your monitor/computer so that you are looking slightly DOWN at the screen. Your eyes looking UP at things cause more strain.
    -If possible, close your eyes for a few minutes with your head back but don't fall asleep at our job.
    -Avoid using your computer, if possible. Print out and read long material on paper.

4. darkus, Feb 26, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2011

darkus macrumors regular

I have the same exact probem, have gone through all the unibody MBPs (15" and 17") with similar results on all of them (headaches after only 20 minutes of use), I keep returning each one after giving them a fair shot. Before using any unibody MBP i've been a solid MBP user and have always loved the screens and never had a problem with them. I use computers for about 6-8 hours a day, and typically use my old rusty but solid 2007 Macbook pro (non LED) for about that long straight through, no problem.

Heres where I stand, hopefully this helps anyone else who has this problem.

1) I used to think it was a problem with LED, but now I realize its not LED per se, its the way the way the MBP screen is built/designed/wide gamut/whatever. I say this because i've since purchased two generations of MB Airs which use LED and love the screens, no headaches what so ever.

2) I decided to keep my most recent 15" MBP purchase just to keep as a backup, and ran a Spyder 3 elite (color calibration) on it, and to my surprise, it actually helped with the headache situation ALOT! I still get headaches from the screen, but now instead of a headache after 20 minutes, I can go for about an hour before the screen starts to hurt. Spyder3 visibly took the edge off the artificially high contrast colors such as reds and blues, so I think the headache issue might be related to the color gamut of these unibody screens, but thats just a guess.

3) The only real solution to this issue if you want to use a macbook pro is to connect it up to a high quality external monitor. Thats what I use now, its not ideal, but I dont think apple will ever address this issue that whatever small minority of us have with headaches, so if you want to keep using apple products, this is the only real solution

5. suckatcomputers macrumors regular

Interesting point on the Macbook Airs.

For me, I don't think it has to do with the screen design or colors. I don't get headaches at all on my old plasma monitor. I feel it's the LED lights.

Also even with TVs, my headaches are worse with LEDs. LCDs and DLPs don't do as much damage on my head.

I might exchange for a Mac Mini. I think I'm going to the give the Apple employees a headache if I haven't already.

6. deep13 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the feedback - I went to two different Apple stores in the Atlanta area, and both stores had the same "9CD0" panel in their new 17" anti-glare MBP.. the one I returned because it gave me headaches.

Based on what darkus said, I went with the ultimate Macbook Air instead - hopefully I can use it in the same way I use my old Macbook Pro (8+ hours per day without any eye strain). We'll see..

7. amnesiak macrumors member

amnesiak

just wondering, how do you check the monitor type?

8. danistyping macrumors regular

I currently have a 2010 and a 2011 13" in my apartment because one is sold and waiting to be shipped and the other is new.

I do notice that the new one has better colors, is more consistent and has whiter whites. However, there are several factors at play:

Different panels are always used for each model, so someone else with a 2010 could have a different panel.

The color could have changed on the 2010 after 7 months of use.

The backlight could be dimmer or a little worse after use.

The 2011 could be a different brand panel from MY 2010, making them hard to compare.

So who the hell knows...all I can say is, I was satisfied with both. Even more so with the 2011. Probably the same or a little better.

9. deep13 thread starter macrumors newbie

To check the panel type:

System Preferences -> Display -> click "Color" -> click "Open Profile" -> Scroll down to #13 (last one). Look at the "Model" field.

10. jimitha macrumors newbie

FYI--checked CTO 2.2Ghz 17" antiglare that came in this morning.

Model 9CCE, LP171WU6-TLB2. It is an LG panel.
    It looks good, but my comparison is a 2006 15" MBP, which had a terrible Au Optronics display.

11. aznguyen316 macrumors 68020

aznguyen316

I don't know if it was luck or what, but my 2011 13" i7 came with an amazing screen. I noticed it right away, checked 9CC3 and indeed it was said to be pretty good LG one. After a profile switch, damn it was sharp. WAYYY better than my 2010 13".

12. Blu101 macrumors 6502a

Blu101

Can you see an eye doctor for advice? This sounds more like a medical issue than a device issue. A couple of my friends also have low tolerances for screen time, and the same laptops they use don't give the rest of us any problems. Sucks, but try to explore all options - worth a shot.

13. Apple Corps macrumors 68030

Tend to agree with Blu101 - I've been impressed with all the Apple displays I've used. My main monitor is an NEC 30" which - to my eyes - was just slightly better than the Apple 30" display - but all the MBP displays I've had (including the new 17" MBP on my desk now) have been ++++

14. bcaslis macrumors 68020

I don't have a 2010 model but I've had previous models. The 2011 15" hires anti-glare display is very impressive. Easily one of the best laptop displays I've seen. Seems to get color shift at a larger angle from center compared to previous displays.