2011 MBP options

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Ironsyde, Nov 30, 2012.

1. Ironsyde macrumors member

I have a high-end matte 15" 2011 Macbook Pro. It was noisy from the very start start under heavy CPU usage. It still works fine but it's gotten slower and noisier (I've tried cleaning the fans; didn't help) that I'll probably have to replace it soon. Is it possible that some components are just "burned out" and getting slower? I'm considering getting an SSD and re-applying the CPU paste if that helps.

I'm also considering selling it and getting the new non-retina one. Is there a good/easy way of doing this? Apple's recycling program offers ~$700 for it, which is a fraction of its original price, so it doesn't seem like a good deal.

2. MisterKeeks macrumors 68000

MisterKeeks

3. Ironsyde thread starter macrumors member

It hits 100C easily under load. Had that happen even when it was new.

4. hakuin macrumors regular

Are you sure it is not a problem with that machine? If it is less than a year old or under Apple Care you could take it in and show them what's wrong.

5. Ironsyde thread starter macrumors member

It's out of warranty, so taking it to Apple is out of the question. I don't think there's anything wrong with it since heat/noise is pretty normal for MBPs, mine has also gotten slower for some reason.

6. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

It wont hurt to take it to Apple. If the drive isn't too far. Maybe they can do some diagnostics for you.

7. hakuin macrumors regular

Have you also looked at the processes running in Activity Monitor? Systems can accumulate a lot of "hidden" processes over time that start automatically on startup. They could be overworking your CPU, and a slowing system could also be caused by a lack of RAM, not enough free hard disk space, or a failing hard disk.