2011 MBP "pop" noise

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by KipCoon, Feb 14, 2012.

1. KipCoon macrumors regular

KipCoon

Hey gang,

I recently started to notice that every once in a while a small static like "pop" sound comes from anything plugged into my headphone jack on my 15" MBP I just got 3 weeks ago. I cant hear it on the internal speakers but headphones or desktop speakers seem to emit it randomly one time. It seems to do this unplugged or plugged into the wall outlet so I don't believe its a power issue.

Does anyone elses do it? Its faint but I hear it every time it does it. Ive checked the connections/plugs for dust and made sure they are clean and rotating the plug in the headphone out produces no static so I believe its somewhere within the logic board.

Its not horrible, but something I didnt come to expect from a $2k+ laptop is all, especially when all my previous notebooks never seemed to do it.

Penny for your thoughts?

2. Vook macrumors member

Vook

Seems odd, I'd have Apple take a look at it. Hopefully there is an Apple store nearby. I hope you get the issue resolved. Sorry I have no technical knowledge to throw your way.

3. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

Does it happen after you plug something in? It's a normal issue and happens with all my computers. When I plug it in, POP! and when I unplug, POP! Seems like it's just making the sound to either test the connection or it's just static from the jack to the computer port.

4. KipCoon thread starter macrumors regular

KipCoon

Nope everything is plugged in, it seems to randomly happen but only once and then maybe a while later, I hear it again, but nothing consistantly running causes it.

5. NZed macrumors 65816

NZed

I've got this too but then i realize that when i get this, its when i rub my feet with the carpet and it causes a small static shock

6. KipCoon thread starter macrumors regular

KipCoon

Cant be that for me as I use the wireless keyboard and mouse.

7. KipCoon thread starter macrumors regular

KipCoon

Well, took the MBP in to Apple, they replaced the logic board to see if that solves it, but... about 30-45 seconds after I stop playing any music (iTunes), I can still hear that pop, granted, more faint now, but its still there. Does anyone elses do this? If its normal I can let it go, but I just don't want it to be a start to a bigger problem down the road.

8. magamo macrumors 6502

If it's the slight pop sound you hear only on headphones/earphones after your MBP remains silent for about 30 seconds, every MBP and MB I've owned made the noise too. You can test if this is the case by playing a song for a second, stop it, and wait a little bit while keeping your laptop silent (and with headphones on).

If what you're hearing is this kind of pop noise, you should be able to hear the slight constant static noise go away with the pop noise as well if you listen to it carefully. I read somewhere on the internet that it's because a circuit or something for sound output on your laptop gets turned off automatically if MBP doesn't make any sound for a short while. Any sound like an email alert, error notice, etc. will turn on the circuit thing again, so if you don't do anything after an alert or something with headphones on, you'll hear the pop noise after several seconds as if it goes off at random.

9. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

sounds about right, this happens to me a fair amount as well across both my MBPs and have never really worried about it.

10. cosmicjoke macrumors 6502

There's a Launch Agent called Antipop that plays a silent sound every 15 seconds or something to keep your audio awake, by default I think only when on brick and not battery...
    http://www.tomsick.net/projects/antipop.html

Imagine it would interfere w/ your autosleep, but who really uses that ****...