2011 MBP Post Lion Upgrade Heat/Fan Issues

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by matt15f, Jul 22, 2011.

1. matt15f macrumors member

So i upgraded to lion the night it came out, 2011 13" MBP.

Afterward, the fan is spinning up during normal (non video) use and it is heating up all the time.

Prior to lion the fan would only spin up and heat up when engaging the video card like in a game. Now it is really hot with the fan audible practically all the time.

Anyone notice anything like this? Maybe it's normal and i am just paranoid? Don't know what to think right now but it is definitely quite hot during normal usage vs before the upgrade.

2. colour macrumors regular

i have had the opposite experience and found that the fan copes better now post lion, as a result heat issues are a little lower then snow leopard.

3. WickedPuddin macrumors member

Hmm seems like there are a lot of issues with the fan in snow leopard, either too hot or the fan going to fast all the time. As for me, its seems fine. I would wait till a software/hardware update because that might solve the issue.

4. charlitis macrumors newbie

I formatted my HDD and installed Lion from scratch and now fans don't spin up as temperature rises. The CPU can be at 75ºC and the fans still at 2000rpm... I never had this problem with SL and it's really annoying having to control fan speed using smcFanControl...
    Does anyone else have this problem or know how to solve it?

Thanks!

5. tempusfugit macrumors 65816

my mid 2009 unibody 13" is definitely running hot all of a sudden since I installed lion...

6. jasonbro macrumors regular

mine too. Spotlight is definitely finished. It seems to happen mostly when i use flash to watch a video. Activity monitor says i'm using around 20% of the cpu to use flash. I wouldn't imagine that 20% cpu usage would make my computer so much hotter, but thats what it seems to happen.

I i surf the web with Safari, i.e. no flash. it Doesnt get hot.

7. matt15f thread starter macrumors member

I also noticed that even when completely idle the cpu usage is never below 25%, yet none of the processes running show any usage.

I talked to a guy at the apple store today and he said to bring it in, that you should never hear the fan when it is idle. I'm going to take it in tomorrow.

8. jasonbro macrumors regular

my 2010 i7 mbp gets real hot and i don't use more than 30% of the cpu.

I'm about 05% idle right now and its getting hot. WHat the hell..........

Wasn't doing this before Lion.'

EDIT: If i run flash it maxes out at 70% idle/30% used and i can feel it heating up.

9. jasonbro macrumors regular

The top 3 things under CPU usage are:

Flash: about 28%
    Google chrome: 20%
    Google chrome renderer: 17%

yet Activity Monitor says my cpu is 78-80% idle.

hmmmmmmmmm

10. jasonbro macrumors regular

Hmmmmmmmm. How does this work?????

Attached Files:

11. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Your GPUs are doing more work with all the new animations/effects and i'm guessing OpenGL/GPU drivers aren't fully optimized yet.

12. jasonbro macrumors regular

But how come my activity monitor is so off?

Flash: 39.4%
    Google Chrome: 20.6%
    Chrome renderer: 14.7%
    windowserver:7.1%
    coreaudiod: 4.1%
    Activity Monitor: 3.8%
    kernal_task: 2.4%
    hidd: 1.6%
    safari web content: .7%
    activity monitors: .6%
    google chrome renderer: .4%
    google chome renderer: .3%
    mds: .2%
    press and hold: .2%

etc etc : .6%

TOTAL: 96.7 CPU Usage

Why the hell does it say i'm "75.75 % idle"???????????????????

13. jasonbro, Jul 23, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2011

jasonbro macrumors regular

Maybe none of the google chrome stuff is being counted?

Why the hell would that be?

Chrome processes (that i can tell): 75.7%

(96.7)-(75.7)=21%

75.7% is about what it's off by and 21% is about what it says it's using. That's WAY off.

what the hell????????????

14. matt15f thread starter macrumors member

I don't have chrome installed but my activity monitor usage does not add up either, seems odd.

15. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Easy. Flash and Chrome are resource hogs. Also i'm guessing you have an iSeries Dual/Quad Core CPU with even more virtual cores. So full CPU usage isn't 100% like previous processors its more like 400% or something.

16. jasonbro macrumors regular

Well why doesn't it keep that in mind at the top of the window? At the top, "CPU %" means something different than at the bottom of the window where it says "% idle" under the "CPU" tab?

If my computer is getting this hot under 20% load i never want to see 100% load.....

17. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Not necessarily.

Like i said magnitude of scale is different with mutiple/multi-core CPUs. If you have 4 CPUs, overall combined CPU power is not 100% it is 100% x4 which is 400%. In other words 97% out of 400% means majority (75%) of your overall CPU power is in fact idle.

18. jasonbro macrumors regular

I have a 2010 i7 dual core.

Lion is starting to piss me off. I've downloaded Flash to use with Safari. I really hope it doesn't get so hot again. Flash on Safari maxes out at around 20% and settles down to 10%. Appears to be a lot less than Chrome.

When i downloaded it it said it was a beta version for lion. Maybe the sandboxed version of flash in chrome isn't updated..... i dunno.

19. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

You have 2 physical cores but 4 virtual ones. Also don't forget that when only one of the cores is being used the CPU can throttle/turbo up to 3.33GHz. Naturally, things will get toasty.

Maybe things will get better once Adobe updates flash or Apple updates Safari/Lion.

20. jasonbro macrumors regular

i hate toasty. It never got this hot before Lion. This sucks.

21. jimbo1mcm macrumors 68000

Hotter

Normal use, just on macforums, my 2011 MBP with SSD is definitely running warmer with LION.

22. ABadSanta macrumors regular

I have the same exact problem. After the genius bar did a fresh, clean install of Lion on Friday to solve the glitches I had, the fan would spin at probably the fastest rpm I've ever heard it spin, while I was simply watching a youtube video at 720p.

I think the problem is that a lot of the tasks we're running on our computers like flash aren't really that compatible with Lion, since they weren't designed on Lion.

I hope the OP and me aren't the only people with this problem.

23. WickedPuddin macrumors member

Your not, many people are having issues with the fans. As for flash, the makers did say that there maybe compatibility issues with lion

24. JayDH macrumors 6502

My MBP is running really hot after Lion as well. Battery life took a massive hit too. Hopefully this gets fixed soon by someone.

25. matt15f thread starter macrumors member

Back from the apple store

Turns out it was the citrix access gateway that i had installed from back on SL.
    It is not compatible with lion and some service it had installed was constantly eating a ton of CPU, which was causing the heat and fan spin.

He also mentioned that this is probably going to be common for old packages to cause things to run wacky in lion until the developers get updated packages out.

He did mention that flash is causing some similar issues for some also for the same reason.