2011 MBP question. Difference between base/high-end, should I return mine?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Costa Del Sol, May 11, 2011.

1. Costa Del Sol macrumors newbie

Hello everyone.

My mid-2010 MBP failed and I''ve exchanged it with a new 2011 15' base model. I was offered to get an upgrade for extra $ and was going to ask if the difference is really big enough. I went ahead and got the base model but I can return it for the high-end one.

I don't play too much games on my MBP but I'd like to be able to play, say Skyrim when it comes out.

As things stand I'm pleased with the machine. No dead pixels, way faster than my old one etc. etc. But would an "adventure" of going for higher model for $400 be worthwhile? I'm not in a perfect situation in terms of cash right now since i'm moving house but if the difference is "that" huge, I may give it a go.

If it doesn't worth, I'll just go ahead and grab an applecare and live with this machine for a good 3 years

Thanks for the replies in advance.

2. Resqu2 macrumors 6502a

I think you will find the one you have will do all you want/need it to. If cash is an issue then I'd keep what I have and add Applecare and be happy.

3. altecXP macrumors 65816

GPU wise its a huge upgrade from base to mid tier.

4. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

Assuming that you could use that much GPU. Personally, I wouldn't, so I went with the base model and upgraded to an SSD. That was a way better use of my money than a higher spec machine.

5. HBOC macrumors 68020

Here is my input and experience. Take it as you will.

I had my early 08" 15" MBP replaced by Apple with a 2.2GHZ Quad i7 with the Matte screen. It was a fabulous machine.

I ended up selling it and picking up a base 13". Crazy I know, and honestly I miss my Quad 2.2. I miss the size and screen the most.

But in the end, I have a $1000 in my pocket, a free printer (which I coincidently needed) and a nice MBP that is faster than my 2008 was. I upgraded the HDD and noticed like a 40% increase in Aperture processing. I am interested to see how 8GB will affect it.

The 13" won't play games very well. But when the new Oblivion comes out (and Battlefield, COD, etc), I will just pick up an Xbox.

Edit... Saw you have the 15". In any case, if you are tight on cash, what I did may be of some use to you?..