2011 MBP Question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Communism, Mar 13, 2011.

1. Communism macrumors newbie

Communism

ok, so I think i'm going to upgrade and splurge a little and get me one of the new 15" MBP's that just came out, but i have a few questions...

the MBP i currently own is in my signature, 2.53ghz original unibody MBP with the 512 video and 4gb RAM. I was going to get the new high end 15" with 8 GB RAM and the high res screen. I use it for school, i'm going to school for IT security [so i'm gonna bootcamp windows 7 most likely] also, i do some gaming, i plan on playing the old republic when it comes out, and i play WoW and TF2 once and a while too.

i'm getting the higher end one just so it'll last longer, as i have around 2-3 years of school left, i'm hoping this one will last me through school.

oh. and i wanted to know if the audio input on the new 2011 models will accept a 3.5mm mic input and work for like ventrilo or skype or what have you, because the one i have now won't use my 3.5mm mics, i have to use a USB.

Thanks.

2. V4705 macrumors 6502

bootcamp - as far as i know, its supposed to work, the salesman from applestore told me there are problems with the new models and windows drivers, worst case you'll need to wait few weeks for new drivers. not big deal i believe.

lasting 2-3 years - for office/student/editor uses of course. for gaming - nobody can guess.

audio input - yes, in the 15" and 17" models there is 3.5mm jack.

3. Communism thread starter macrumors newbie

Communism

i know there's a 3.5mm jack, the MBP i have now will take the 3.5mm input, but no audio comes through my 3.5mm mic, i have to use a USB mic, i just want to make sure i can use my regular headset with the new MBP, and not have to use a separate mic.

4. V4705 macrumors 6502

5. Communism thread starter macrumors newbie

Communism

awesome, good call, i'll have to pick one of those up. I'm probably gonna get the new MBP, i realized the battery life is leaps and bounds above what my original unibody gets. and i need it for my 3 hour night classes.

6. Communism thread starter macrumors newbie

Communism

sorry for the late bump, i still want a couple more opinions please =]

7. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

What does getting the high end model have anything to do with it lasting longer?

8. borisiii macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-gb) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

FYI if you have a headset which has a microphone and headphones but only one 3.5mm plug, and you want both audio in and out, plug it in the headphone socket, not the mic socket, and it will work as you want...