2011 MBP - RAM Upgrade

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by .Logan, Sep 5, 2011.

1. .Logan macrumors member

Hello,

I bought my MBP last month with 4GB of RAM, however I've decided that I now would like to have 8GB. Can anyone recommend a couple really good sticks that are compatible with my machine? I don't even know what kind of RAM to look for.

Also, I saw a guide on here somewhere with how to actually do it when they arrive. Could someone link me to that again?

Thanks.

2. Maverick713 macrumors 6502

I just got these off of amazon

Corsair 8 GB DDR3 Laptop Memory Kit CMSO8GX3M2A1333C9 and only 50 bucks

3. .Logan thread starter macrumors member

Was a tough decision for me between Corsair and Cruical, both seem like top brands. Went with the Corsair! Can't wait to get it, hopefully I don't destroy the thing trying to install it. Me + Hardware != <3

4. techno96 macrumors member

5. Maverick713 macrumors 6502

it is not hard, if it takes more than 15 minutes than perhaps you have taken a wrong turn.

follow these steps:

1) flip MBP upside down

2) take out all screw, put them somehwere where they wil not roll around I have had experience with losing them and not being able to get a replacement.

3) take out old ram maybe someone you know needs it, keep it in a safe place

4) install new RAM

5) put screws back in

6) flip MBP back over turn on verify that it is picking up the new RAM and you are good to go.

6. ExiledMafia macrumors regular

Solid choice my friend!

7. Laurido92 macrumors newbie

I have the exact same RAM but I paid $44.99 so $35 is an awesome buy. I haven't had any issues with it since I installed it. Pretty easy to do as well. You should be really happy with it.

Good luck!!

8. derickdub macrumors 6502

I bought the GSkill from newegg and sent them back because they were causing kernel panics about every ten minutes. I bought the Corsair instead of getting replacement GSkill, and I couldn't be happier.

I have always bought Corsair products when building PCs and have never had an issue with any of them. I don't know why I didn't go with them in the first place.

9. Steve's Barber macrumors 6502a

Been using it for 4 months. The G-Skill is fine. Just look at the newegg reviews.

Don't place so much inportance on the company that pays the same chinese die factory to put their name on it.