2011 MBP Real time SSD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iMackPro, Apr 12, 2011.

1. iMackPro macrumors 6502

I have apples 128 SSD in my macbook and i downloaded a movie from iTunes (5.4 Gigs UNcompressed) and i transferred it to another file ON my computer. The amount of time it took was 3 minutes.... isn't this pretty slow for a SSD? Just wondering, or maybe its fast! Heck i dunno.

Thanks in advance!

2. kgallag1 macrumors member

file transfers on SSD

I'm not sure I'm following what you were doing here. Are you saying it took 3 minutes to transfer the movie you downloaded to another folder on the same drive, or on a different drive? If on a different drive, what kind of drive, SSD or magnetic? External or Internal?

I suspect the answer is moving the file to another folder on the same drive, but wanted to make sure. Also, did the 3 minutes include the downloading itself, or only the file transfer?

3. iMackPro thread starter macrumors 6502

no no another file on my computer. like it came in a disk image and i have to copy it to my SSD. and it took me 3 minutes. Good or bad?

4. blevins321 macrumors 68030

No that's about right. Keep in mind that the drive is reading the file and writing at the same time, so the data rate that you're thinking of is actually doubled.

5. iMackPro thread starter macrumors 6502

i never thought about that! good call!

6. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

It seems the Apple SSD (Toshiba) runs at SATA II and not SATA III, meaning that the theoretical speeds are about twice that for the new SF2200 SSDs versus the factory ones. I say theoretical as we are talking about on paper.