Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

appleuser2262

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 16, 2015
So I took my late 2011 (purchased in Jan 2012) 15" Macbook Pro into an Apple store last week, the graphics card/logic board needs to be replaced. Which is apparently a prevalent problem, so even thought my applecare was up already they have an extended warranty for the issue. The problem however, is that when he took the back off there was a tiny bit of water, no idea how it got there and it looked like one small drop or two, but it voids that extended warranty and repairs were quoted at almost $1,000.

So I'm just looking for a bit of advice on what to do next. I see my options as: 1) Suck it up and get it repaired for that price, 2) Take it to an approved 3rd party that can repair macs to see if it's any cheaper, 3) Buy a new computer, or 4) Mac depot repairs? I'm not sure if that would be applicable to this situation but I stubbled across some references to it.

Appreciate any input you're able to give.

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
So I took my late 2011 (purchased in Jan 2012) 15" Macbook Pro into an Apple store last week, the graphics card/logic board needs to be replaced. Which is apparently a prevalent problem, so even thought my applecare was up already they have an extended warranty for the issue. The problem however, is that when he took the back off there was a tiny bit of water, no idea how it got there and it looked like one small drop or two, but it voids that extended warranty and repairs were quoted at almost $1,000.

So I'm just looking for a bit of advice on what to do next. I see my options as: 1) Suck it up and get it repaired for that price, 2) Take it to an approved 3rd party that can repair macs to see if it's any cheaper, 3) Buy a new computer, or 4) Mac depot repairs? I'm not sure if that would be applicable to this situation but I stubbled across some references to it.

Take it to a third party for a reball and re-paste the thermal paste.

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013

Take it to a repair shop and get it reballed shouldn't cost you too much.

To be honest though there seems to be no permanent fix for this issue it could happen again within months.....

I would say whatever you do don't pay $1000 dollars for it, thats almost the price you can get a late 2013 retina one for.

If it was me I'd go for new computer.

boomhower

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2011
Either get it repaired 3rd party or sell it as damaged and buy a new one. I would not put big money into it as it can fail again at any time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.