2011 MBP running slow

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jon8214, Nov 5, 2012.

1. jon8214 macrumors regular

Hi, as the title says i have a MPB that is running slow. The problem started when i was playing doom 3 the game just froze and i ended up having to restart my mbp. every time i try to open an app the icon bounces for a while and i get the beech ball, for about 30 -40 secs before the app opens.

The MBP has a apple 128 ssd and also a 1tb hdd with 8 gb ram installed.

I have backed up and also deleted all partitions and done a fresh install of ML and only copied back my files so i didnt bring back any of my old settings but it still takes ages to load apps.

Also when i am typing it will periodically beechball on me, like it has done about 4 -5 times whilst typing this out.

The OS and apps are installed on the ssd while all my other files are installed on the hdd.

Im quite good with computers but this one has me stumped, im beginning to think that one or both of my drives are on there way out but when i check them there are no errors, i have also repaired permissions.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jon

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Follow every step of the following instructions precisely. Do not skip any steps.
    1. Launch Activity Monitor
    2. Change "My Processes" at the top to "All Processes"
    3. Click on the "% CPU" column heading once or twice, so the arrow points downward (highest values on top).
      (If that column isn't visible, right-click on the column headings and check it, NOT "CPU Time")
    4. Click on the System Memory tab at the bottom.
    5. Take a screen shot of the entire Activity Monitor window, then scroll down to see the rest of the list, take another screen shot
    6. Post your screenshots.

If you're having performance issues, this may help:

3. jon8214 thread starter macrumors regular

4. jon8214 thread starter macrumors regular

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

While nothing stands out as consuming significant system resources at the time of your screen shots, there are a couple things you could address.

You're using Flash. Generally speaking, Flash is notorious for consuming system resources, raising temps and decreasing battery life. For Flash-related issues:
    • Find your Flash version and make sure it's the latest version available. Never install or update Flash from a pop-up on a website. Always go to Adobe's site to get Flash or updates.
    • Install ClickToFlash (Safari), Flashblock (Firefox) or FlashBlock (Chrome) to control which Flash content plays on websites.
    • Try using the YouTube HTML5 Video Player to watch YouTube videos, when available. (May impact fullscreen viewing. See link for details.) Some have reported better performance with HTML5, while some have reported worse. Try it and find out what works best for you.

Also, you have Avast installed. You can keep your Mac safe from malware by practicing safe computing, as described in the following link. I recommend you uninstall Avast using this procedure, and see what impact that has on performance.
    Finally, it's good that you have a current backup, as another possibility is your drive may be failing.

6. jon8214 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for your input i have done all of the above, and it is still running slow, i guess it must be one of my hard drives :(