2011 MBP, Safari uses Intel GPU, Chrome Enlists 6750m...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Ceebee1980, Apr 3, 2011.

1. Ceebee1980 macrumors regular

Sorry if this is beaten to death, but:
    I noticed that in their resting states, Safari 5 only enlists the onboard Intel 3000HD, whereas switching to the same webpage in Chrome 10 recruits the 6750m automatically and kicks the GPU temp up 10-15 degrees C.

Does anyone know if future OSX updates will likely make the automatic graphics switching algorithm "smarter", or is it a basically stillborn feature?

It's kinda lame to have to hang on to Safari if I want longer battery life when I'm unplugged, because I'd almost finished switching over to Chrome and would prefer it...

2. waltchui macrumors newbie

try out gfxcardstatus

you can force chrome to use integrated (intel) over the 6750

3. c1phr macrumors 6502

This has been discussed numerous times on this forum as well, and it's been an issue since the 2010 model.

Basically, new browsers like Chrome 10+ and FF4 call OpenGL since they initialize WebGL when they startup. Sometimes this dependency will disappear and the browser MAY revert to Intel, and then it might call OpenGL again.

My suggestion is to use Gfxcardstatus to control your GPU by hand.

4. jayhawk11 macrumors 6502a

jayhawk11

This. Here's a thread that explains what happens (they forget to mention the WebGL stuff, but you get the idea).

Chrome Forcing Dedicated GPU

Send some feedback to Google's Chrome development team and see what they can figure out.

Contact Us - Google Chrome

5. Ceebee1980 thread starter macrumors regular

Sweet. Yeah, this seems like something that could definitely be improved. I imagine the discrepancy in battery times some people are getting could be attributed to them surfing on chrome.

6. jayhawk11 macrumors 6502a

jayhawk11

Ceebee, check my updated post. Forgot to put the links in.

7. Ceebee1980 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks! Henry B @ Google seems really helpful. Apple needs someone like that... lol

8. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

Some mode should make a sticky thread.
    AutoGPUSwitching sucks the Apple way use gfxcardstatus.

Google doesn't need to do a thing they use the libraries and the should. Intel GPU could drive them usually fast enough. Apple should just make some white list approach to switching that would work always, better and could easily be customized.
    The worst is Skype (sitting idle doing nothing) but even with forced Intel it reduces battery life so much that I usually kill it.