2011 MBP Screen dimmed all the way off, comes back on?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Ceebee1980, Apr 5, 2011.

1. Ceebee1980 macrumors regular

I have a 2011 MBP, and I've noticed that when I dim the screen all the way down until it's off, it come back on a minute or so later, and the screensaver is on. Can anyone explain whether it's a bug or setting in my screensaver preferences overriding the screen brightness, or some feature I haven't considered?

2. DRGN89 macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I think unless you turn off the feature the screen brightness automatically readjusts to the light

3. Ceebee1980 thread starter macrumors regular

I actually have this feature turned off. Basically I dim the display using the F1 key, and when it goes black, I leave the computer alone for a minute, then come back.... and it's back on the dimmest non-off brightness, and the screensaver is running....

4. Hansr macrumors 6502a

CTRL+SHIFT+EJCET turns of the screen. Dimming is redundant.

5. gorskiegangsta macrumors 65816

gorskiegangsta

that's because you [probably] have screensaver set to appear a minute after the screen turns off.
    go to: Preferences - Desktop & Screen Saver - Screen Saver and under "Start Screensaver" drag the slider to "Never"

Attached Files:

6. Vurius, Apr 6, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2011

Vurius macrumors newbie

Wow, I've had a macbook pro for five years and have been dimming the screen like an idiot! Thanks for that very useful shortcut!

7. c7aea macrumors regular

yea, thats cool i never knew that short cut. I have the mouse curser to the top left corner of the screen to turn off the screen

8. iMackPro macrumors 6502

+1 im already using it. nice find!!

9. Macsavvytech macrumors 6502a

Macsavvytech

10. Ceebee1980 thread starter macrumors regular

11. axu539 macrumors 6502a

I actually had the exact same dimming issue (I know about the shortcut for turning off the screen, but I don't use it when certain processes might wake the screen anyway). I would dim the screen all the way, but after some time, the screen would go back up to 1 tick of brightness. I fixed it by simply turning off the "Automatically reduce brightness before display goes to sleep" checkbox. My assumption is that this is a small glitch in the software that does not account for a situation when the brightness is ALL the way down. So before the screen turns off, it will "dim," to 1 bar.

12. Hansr macrumors 6502a

Not really a glitch as such more of a behavioral thing that's been coded into the light sensor methods where whoever coded it assumed you'd never want to "turn off" the screen this way because in fact it's not turned off.