2011 MBP screen freezing with artifacts... but passes Apple VST

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Drecca, Aug 4, 2016.

1. Drecca macrumors regular

A 2011 MBP I have over here is displaying signs of the graphics card failure apple has a recall on. I replaced the logic board 1.5 years ago and paid for it, only to find out there was a recall a month later

This time, I took a picture of the screen artifacts, took it to apple, they ran their visual switch test and the stupid laptop passed, so they won't do anything. It's just a matter of time before this one goes too

So how do i make it have a melt down before december 31st and the recall program expires? Just leave it on Youtube all day?

Second issue is that Apple won't refund me my $700 for the logic board replacement from the last fix, unless it can be proven this is the same issue. So it really has to fail.

2. JTToft macrumors 68040

It'll probably fail on its own before the deadline. But you can download and run this GPU stress test for extended periods to help it a bit along. Choose the FurMark test and set a high resolution.

http://www.geeks3d.com/gputest/

Do you not have a receipt or other sort of documentation on your logic board replacement that describes the reason for the repair?

3. Drecca thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, I'll run that!

The repair was done at the same apple store. But at that time, there was no "conclusive" proof that it was the video card, and the notes on it say that. Even though it was the same artifacts. If you ask me, that's BS, but they said if the logic board needs to be replaced again, it's likely the same problem and they'll refund it.

Very round about way of doing things